Do they look ready?

florida lee

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Morriston,fl
My "chicks " are 20 wks old this week. Do any of my ladies look ready to start laying yet?? Are combs red enough?? My Roo sometimes thinks they are OLD ENOUGH.

85475_imgp1117.jpg

85475_imgp1119.jpg

85475_imgp1116.jpg

85475_imgp1115.jpg

85475_imgp1120.jpg

85475_imgp1109.jpg

85475_imgp1118.jpg

I'd think at 20 weeks, your Australorps could lay at any time.

My 16 week Australorp (Martha) looks just like yours - same amount of redness. How long have yours looked like that? I think Martha will be the first of my flock to lay eggs. She was really yelling at me today. I've never seen her so vocal. But of course, 16 weeks is too early. I think I've got a few more weeks to wait.

Isn't it exciting!

Thanks, my Australorps are talking all the time as in my EE. the RIR is just obnoxious. the Australorps combs have been this red for some time now, a couple of weeks at least. Don't know about the Wyndottes. The Roo keeps trying to mount the Brahama and the EE....not sure if this is a sign or not.

Your Wyandottes and EE don't look matured enough yet, I have both breeds and their combs and wattles are much bigger and more red, I think you have a few weeks on the Wyandottes, the EE maybe a little longer.

They look old enough. I know how hard it is to wait. So far my girls start squatting, but wait 3 weeks after squatting to lay. My EE is 24 weeks, squatting and super noisy for 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for an egg from her. Good luck and I hope you get your first egg real soon!

My Australorp looks just like yours. She started laying on Sunday (8/21) - four days shy of 20 weeks. I've gotten two eggs from her so far. She didn't seem to squat much prior to laying and will occasionally squat for my daughter. Even though she knows I'm the MAMA, she's only squatted for me once. LOL! Not sure about your other girls. All are very pretty though.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom