Do They Make Leg Tags So I Can Keep Track Of The Age Of The Chickens?

peach2727

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
I am starting a free range chicken business here in Ecuador. I have room for 1000 but need a system to keep track of the ages of my flock. I have heard of tags you can put on the legs of the chickens. If so, where do I get them? If not, does anyone have any ideas how to determine the ages as time goes on and I keep adding stock?

You can buy numbered bands. You'll need to keep a record book with your notes "red band #3 = XYZ chicken". I don't know where you would get them out of the US. Here you can buy them at various poultry and gamebird supply companies.

Cutlers has them - really depends on what type of bands you want too - metal ones that lock on, plastic rings etc.

If all you need is a year-of-birth label, colored zipties (aka cable ties, 'google' if you're not sure what these are) work pretty good and are much cheaper than numbered metal bands or any other kind of official legband. You do need to wait to apply them until the chicken is pretty close to full-grown, as you cannot enlarge them once theyre on and don't want a band to become too tight as the leg grows wider and cut off circulation to the foot.

The other very inexpensive possibility that comes to mind is toe-punching, actually its punching a slit in the web *between* the toes, which can be done on young chicks and if done right is basically permanent. Different toe-punch location for each year. However this requires you to pick the chicken up and scrutinize its feet closely to see how old it is, which is less convenient than just looking where it stands and seeing what color ziptie it is wearing on its ankle.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Here is what I just inquired about to National Band:

Hi,

I am looking to get some bands made for my farm. I am mainly trying to be able to identify the year of hatching on my birds. So I would like to see if it is possible to get a band stamped with “09 - 01” and some for next year starting with “10 – 01”.

What is your smallest order to do something like this? And, could you please give me an estimate on them? I currently use the plastic numbered bands, but the number rubs off. I think I am currently using a size 12.

Thank you,

Jean Ribbeck
Pips & Peeps

The reply:

Smallest quantity of bands you may order would be 100. Our #1242-24 (3/4" ID) plain aluminum bands (same inside diameter as our #912 plastic bands) would run $34.15 for 100 in plus shipping. This cost includes getting a year date on the 100 -- such as 09-01 thru 09-100.

NOTE: If you need have part of the 100 made with the "09" year date and part with "10" year date -- add another $3.00 to the order total.

Shipment: 3 to 4 weeks after payment received. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, check or money order.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Vicki Lindsay

National Band & Tag Company
721 York St., PO Box 72430
Newport KY 41072-0430 USA
859-261-2035
USA FAX: 800-261-8247 / INTERNATIONAL FAX: 859-261-8247

HOURS: MONDAY - FRIDAY (CLOSED SAT & SUN)
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM EST

Back
Top Bottom