Do they need a heat lamp

anlicia

Chirping
Feb 24, 2017
Utah
I have 6 chicks that are between 6-8 weeks old. They're outside in their coop and I'm wondering if they still need the heat lamp at night. Overnight Temps are between 40°-50° F.

I'm a new chicken mom so I honestly don't know if they are even close to being fully feathered.

Hello all, I just purchased some newly hatched chicks from my local nursery. I know that the brood temperature needs to be at 95 degrees, right now it's holding steady at 80 degrees and I keep the room they're in pretty warm (the thermostat is at 72 degrees). Is that warm enough for them or do I need to increase the brood temperature? Thanks for all your help!

Melanie

Edited by anlicia - 2/24/17 at 6:57pm

I have 6 chicks that are between 6-8 weeks old. They're outside in their coop and I'm wondering if they still need the heat lamp at night. Overnight Temps are between 40°-50° F.

Anlica, your chicks looked a bit younger than 8 weeks old, so I went back to your first post, which is quoted above. If these are the same chicks, they are at most 4 weeks old. Can you clarify that for me? What kind are they? Did you get them all at the same time and from the same place? The bigger ones look like they should be fine, and even the younger ones might be ok if they all snuggle together. Can you give them a huddle box? That will make all of the difference.

These are a different set. I purchased 6 chicks and then about 2 weeks later I purchased the two mentioned in the quoted post.
The 6 in the photo are Welsimmers, Barred Plymouth Rocks, and Brahamas.I bought them all from the same nursery.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom