do they need help dustbathing???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickchix, May 10, 2008.

1. Chickchix

Chickchix Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Our chicks are about 2 months old, and so far haven't seen them even attempt a dust bath. They have shavings in their coop, and they get to run around the yard for a bit each day. There are some woods where they scratch in the leaf litter, but no attempt to dust bath. Do I need to make a dugout somewhere?

Also, they like to climb into a bush I have and hang out. Tree climbing chicks? Really?

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yes...they need to dust bathe. My chicks dust bathe in the shavings [​IMG]. My hens like to dust bathe in the lilacs, vegetable garden, and for some reason they keep my front walk completely covered in dirt after I sweep EVERY DAY! Its a conspiracy I tell you. The plot I made for them to dust bathe in...is untouched even after 1 year...still they choose my day lily and lilacs! [​IMG] But I don't mind...they dug them up this spring and they were in need of dividing...so we all WIN! [​IMG]

Dust bathing helps rid them of lice, fleas, etc and it is a good practice to spread Diatomaceous Earth in their favorite DUST bowl.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Thats funny....my chickens choose the lilac bushes too! Besides extracting lice etc...it also keeps their moisture balanced and their feathers clean... A large flower pot works well....I have a great picture of mom dad and nine babies all dirt/sunbathing in a planter box...11 bugs in a rug. The DE is also the safest to keep down unwanted pests....thankfully I haven't had to deal with it, but it's sad to see birds miserably infested with lice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by