do they need help dustbathing???

Chickchix

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 7, 2008
Our chicks are about 2 months old, and so far haven't seen them even attempt a dust bath. They have shavings in their coop, and they get to run around the yard for a bit each day. There are some woods where they scratch in the leaf litter, but no attempt to dust bath. Do I need to make a dugout somewhere?

Also, they like to climb into a bush I have and hang out. Tree climbing chicks? Really?

Yes...they need to dust bathe. My chicks dust bathe in the shavings
tongue.png
. My hens like to dust bathe in the lilacs, vegetable garden, and for some reason they keep my front walk completely covered in dirt after I sweep EVERY DAY! Its a conspiracy I tell you. The plot I made for them to dust bathe in...is untouched even after 1 year...still they choose my day lily and lilacs!
barnie.gif
But I don't mind...they dug them up this spring and they were in need of dividing...so we all WIN!
cool.png

Dust bathing helps rid them of lice, fleas, etc and it is a good practice to spread Diatomaceous Earth in their favorite DUST bowl.

Last edited:
Thats funny....my chickens choose the lilac bushes too! Besides extracting lice etc...it also keeps their moisture balanced and their feathers clean... A large flower pot works well....I have a great picture of mom dad and nine babies all dirt/sunbathing in a planter box...11 bugs in a rug. The DE is also the safest to keep down unwanted pests....thankfully I haven't had to deal with it, but it's sad to see birds miserably infested with lice.

Back
Top Bottom