Do they need water?

My Cayuga Ducks use a small rubber pan - used for feed for horses. I got it at Tractor Supply and it holds about 10 gallons of water. It is big enough for 2 ducks to swim in (barely) and for them to wash their beaks I have even a smaller pan (about the size of the bottom of a canner/steamer). It holds about 1.5 gallons of water. This way it is easy for me to haul water in the winter. Plus being the rubber, the black pulls in the heat from the sun in the winter. I have a creek out back for them when they free-range but they prefer the buckets most of the time. I also have used a kiddie sandbox (plastic turtle looking) and they loved that. it is stronger than the kiddie pool. As long as they can wash their bodies and especially be able to get their heads under water to wash their beaks is all they need.

They love those round molded plastic kiddie pools! Easy to scoot in and out of. But be ready to change the water often, it gets mucky (aka. poopy) quick. They also love to get a bill full of food pellets and sift it in the water to eat... I never tried it, but maybe having a separate water bowl next to the food would help with that.

Runners, khaki campbells, welsh harlequins, and anconas are the best layers I have heard of. I have welshies, but they arent laying eggs yet, but I heard they are just as good or better then khakis at laying, and are much better broodies.

Also make sure they can't turn the water container over. I have some in a cage and as soon as I fill the tub they all hop in it and turn it over. Maybe they r mad because I had to stop them up until I finished the fence then they can go back to my pond...all 65 of them.
tongue.png

Quote:
If only it were that easy!!!
I have a 3 gallon waterer right next to the food pan. They gurgle through that and then it's off to the pool...or more likely, all at once! And if I put veggies in with the pellets, man oh man!!!...it's like a riot!!!

Quote:
If only it were that easy!!!
I have a 3 gallon waterer right next to the food pan. They gurgle through that and then it's off to the pool...or more likely, all at once! And if I put veggies in with the pellets, man oh man!!!...it's like a riot!!!

LOL! Never mind then! I miss my ducks. They were messy but fun.
roll.png

I have a kiddy pool for the ducks and geese, they really enjoy it. You don't have to have one, but its really fun to watch them splashing around.

BTW, you should get at least two. Ducks are very social animals.

Back
Top Bottom