do they start but not finish?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by devora, Aug 31, 2007.

1. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I found one of our hens in the nesting box during free range time so I assumed she was trying to lay (They never go back in the coop if they can be out and about). I watched her arrange straw for about 15 mins., very intent.

In the end she left wo/ doing the deed. Any ideas?

2. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Do you know if she laid earlier in the day? I have one girl who does this same thing every once in a while. More often than not, she's already laid, leaves the nest for an hour, then decides she needs to go back in. She'll arrange the nesting material and hunker down. Then she'll stand up, look at the golf ball, cackle, and go out to play with the rest of the girls. Sometimes I think she really thinks she laid that golf ball! [​IMG]

3. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    How old,what breed and how hot is it?My RiR lay between 10:00-11:00 like clockwork.Black sexys lay before Im up in the morn and then some times in the noon!They are machines,lol!The red sexys lay in late after noon.40 chx 10 slots in the nesting box and the barred rocks havent even started to lay,LOL![​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think that if they have to lay they lay. Otherwise they are just enjoying their new found moody hen like selves.

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

She's a 19 wk old Turken. No, she hadn't layed that day. As long as she's OK I think the whole thing is a crack up. And she did act like our fake eggs were her work![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by