1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do tiny eggs ever get any larger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sleepy71, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Sleepy71

Sleepy71 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    My last remaining Silky/Cochin mix lays these cute little eggs. She's probably 8 months old. Is this as large as they're gonna get?

[​IMG]

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    The first eggs a hen lays are her smallest, and they gradually get bigger from there. From what I understand, silkies are known for tiny eggs, though, so they may never get very big.

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkie eggs are generally very small from what I've been told.

BUT - imagine the absolutely adorable deviled eggs you can make for your next get together! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Sleepy71

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    When we had the "full-blooded" Silkies, before the predators got to 'em, the eggs we got were definitely small, but not near as small as what's in the picture I posted above. I'd say they were 2/3 the size of a golf ball, maybe a little smaller.

5. Sleepy71

Oct 25, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'd have to save these for a while, since she lays maybe one per week. AND, I have to hunt for them, since she hasn't yet found the nesting box. My flock free-ranges in my 1/2-acre fenced backyard, so I do find the occasional egg out in the middle of the yard. haha!

6. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't tell the size of the smallest egg in the middle because I don't know how large the others are. From this vantage point it looks like robin's egg sized? I would think they would get a bit larger than that, yes (but I'm a newbie).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by