Do u have trouble getting rid of "mutt" chicks???

LovinMyHensInNC!

Songster
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
Western North Carolina
My Black Australorp just went broody. I thought it would be a fun experience for my kids and I to let this hen go ahead and hatch out some chicks (I usually purchase my chicks from local breeders or hatcheries). I don't have my chickens separated by breed so whatever hatches will be a mix. After the chicks hatch, I plan to just give them away on Craig'sList since I will have no money invested in them (except for the loss of egg laying of course).

Does anyone do this?
Do you have trouble giving away mixed chicks?
Any advice?

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I have never had a prob giving away any chickens for free on Craigslist. Usually they are gone that day. I have given away roosters by the dozen, old hens, chicks that did not fit breeding programs, ect. I actually have about 30 eggs in the bator now to see if my young amer. roos have been getting any of my buff orp hens and plan to give away the chicks.

I don't have any help for you, I just wanted to say hello to another WNC'er. We are in Black Mountain. Our australorp just became broody too and we're looking for a few fertilized easter egger eggs to put under her. Have fun with your chicks. Our other broody hatched some chicks 6 weeks ago and my kids thought it was great fun!

Mutt hens sell for the same as purebred here and purebred roosters are as hard to get rid of as mutt roosters. All most people care about here is if it lays eggs and sometimes what size but bantams will easily sell for the same price as standards. I just get a few less responses when selling bantams.

Back
Top Bottom