Do very sick chickens ever recover and live for long?

Did the vet not recommend a de-wormer?

I'm not sure how effective Ivermectin pour-on would be for Capillary worms. You can use Safeguard (fenbendazole) to treat those - dosage is 1/4ml per 1 pound of weight given for 5 days in a row. Alternatively you could use Praziquantel

The crop not emptying is concerning, she may still have an overload of worms or something else going on. See that she has plenty of water to drink, massage the crop and introduce some coconut oil into her. Try to determine if the crop is sour, impacted, slow, etc. This Article may help. I would try to keep her on softer foods if possible since things like apple, beans, etc., are harder to process. Wet feed or mashed egg would be good.
The vet recommended ivomec orally but sunce i had ivermectin pour on she said try it. She is not a chicken vet just trying to help. This waa only 5 days ago.

I'd definitely try some egg or chick-crumb if she won't take pellets. I agree that you should perform a second float-test (you can do this at home, too) to ensure the worms have been taken care of, and re-medicate with a different medication if necessary. As @Wyorp Rock suggests, introducing some oil; coconut (or olive works too, though solid-form oil is easier to introduce into the crop) and gently massaging her crop may help; it could be that the feed is becoming impacted as she is having a lot of fibrous foods.

I'm sorry you have a sick chicken.
Answering the following questions along with photos of you chicken, any wounds/injuries they may have and of the poop would be very helpful.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Amber Link 3 yrs maybe 2 lbs. Very ligt and thinner than others
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic. Walks slowly. Stands and sleeps mostly. Sits by me and sleeps and her face is pale. Stands with one foot up sometimes. Sleeps alone. Scratches and eats a bug or 2 then sits by me and sleeps
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About 2 months total just a little slower. This thin not eating weak sleeping about 2 weeks.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
One other will stop and rest a little but all eating drinking pooping laying running etc.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Overload of capillary worms confirmed by vet float test
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She will not eat chkn food anymore. She was eating wet food but stopped. Sshe seems to eat something new for a day then wont eat it again.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal color but small in size and runny and also not very often compared to others
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Ivermectin pour on 3 drops on back of her neck 5 days ago. All were treated according to their weight.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I have no vet nearby that will treat her. I am afraid the 2 hr drive one way and visit would atreas hwr out and kill her now. Really need to know how to treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Newly built coop with fresh pine chips and droppings board finally and run attached but let out daily to free range also.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

See how pale she gets when sitting still
152814328305613201270.jpg

I'd definitely try some egg or chick-crumb if she won't take pellets. I agree that you should perform a second float-test (you can do this at home, too) to ensure the worms have been taken care of, and re-medicate with a different medication if necessary. As @Wyorp Rock suggests, introducing some oil; coconut (or olive works too, though solid-form oil is easier to introduce into the crop) and gently massaging her crop may help; it could be that the feed is becoming impacted as she is having a lot of fibrous foods.
I gave her scrambled eggs and wet pellets mashed up but she walks away.

The crop does look swollen; does it feel hard to the touch? If it is impacted, it could be that this is the reason she does not want to eat. Try the massage with oil. If you do not have solid-form coconut oil, then put a small teaspoon of olive oil or similar to her beak; I wouldn't syringe it or force it down her as she could aspirate it.

The crop does look swollen; does it feel hard to the touch? If it is impacted, it could be that this is the reason she does not want to eat. Try the massage with oil. If you do not have solid-form coconut oil, then put a small teaspoon of olive oil or similar to her beak; I wouldn't syringe it or force it down her as she could aspirate it.
It was very large and hard this morning. I have been massaging it all day several times and it is smaller and softer now. I just can't get her to eat chkn food again. She will eat bugs. Oh she just pooped so maybe things are moving again. She was doing better last night and even pecked a couple of mealworms. Just standing still now. Should i try a little more ivermectin drops?

This is the poop but in the grass so hard to see and how she stands and sleeps. Her comb is awful looking too.

Attachments

• 15281444608191672342698.jpg
    15281444608191672342698.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 15281444785851762377992.jpg
    15281444785851762377992.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 31
If you're going to re-medicate, I would chose a different wormer; you don't want the parasites to become immune to Ivermectin, and retreating with an unsuccessful medication is just throwing good money after bad. @Wyorp Rock suggested some good choices earlier; I've used fenbendazole before. Just keep massaging that crop if it gets hard again; it does sound as though it's becoming impacted from all the fibre in her current diet; hopefully you'll be able to get her to start eating proper feed again soon.

Back
Top Bottom