Do we have quail?

EricShane

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
SouthWestern Ohio
I live in Southern Ohio, and outside weve been hearing a Bird Whistling that sounds like "bob white" and just never paid any attention, and thought it was just birds up in a tree or something.. but, lately There seems to be tons of them, that were hearing around the fields and stuff around the house.. is it Bobwhite Quail, or does another bird sound that way?

if it is Bobwhites how do you find them? I would love to see them, Ive never even seen Quails in real life!

Yes we have bobwhite here in this part of the state they have been restocking them the past 10 years after they flocks died off during the big snow storms in the late 70's They are starting to be hunted again in special areas
Quote:

hmm, good Ideas guys! thanks! Its funny, because I actually think Ive heard them for years.. and never even knew what it was that I was hearing.. also, There are a few Quail farms about 30 minutes away, and I thought about going there and buying some and releasing them on the property but, now i dont have to! lol

Last edited:
Quote:
YES YOU HAVE BOB WHITE QUAIL IN SOUTHERN OHIO. YOU'RE HEARING THEM MORE AT THIS TIME BECAUSE THEY ARE LOOKIN FOR LOVE (IF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN...) AND THE EASIEST WAY TO FIND THEM IS WITH A WELL TRAINED DOG! BUT OTHER THAN THAT, SLOW SMALL MOVEMENTS TOWARD THE CALLS. QUIET AND EASY AND YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET A LOOK...

OH I ALMOST FORGOT... IF THE CALL IS "BOB WHITE" ITS A LOCATOR CALL--- AN ATTEMPT TO FIND OR REFORM THE GROUP (COVEY) IF ITS A "BOB- BOB WHITE" CALL ITS LOOKING FOR A HOOK-UP. HOPE THAT HELPS.... ALSO YOU CAN MIMIC THE CALL AND GET INTERACTION WITH THE BIRDS THEMSELVES. AND YOU CAN ALWAYS SPRINKLE SOME CRACKED CORN OUT AT THE EDGE OF THE HIGH GRASS AND YOUR YARD---- MAY TAKE A FEWS DAYS BUT THEY'LL FIND IT!

Back
Top Bottom