Do we have to put our rooster down?

I vote for life...

hopefully will heal up healthy...
by the way fancyfeathers...what's happened to my baby...
I have a light sussex that looks just like vanilla...lovely sweet birds...

Can't begin to imagine why it would have crossed his mind to kill this roo, since not suffering, but glad it's no longer an issue! Glad roo is healing and that his dog encounter did not result in worse injury, as is too often the case.

If there are any wounds that appear to be infected do apply neosporin topically and if they are deep wounds, oral or injectible antibiotic may also be advisable. After a shock like he had, extra electrolytes would have been good but probably past the point of needing them now. If he is still in some pain, aspirin water may help (1 baby aspirin crushed into one cup drinking wtaer, fresh batch twice daily) .
JJ

I don't know your location or if your weather is still warm. If your rooster has any wounds that would attract flies (then eggs into maggots), I wouldn't let him outside until that was healed. Maggots can cause the situation to go downhill fast. Otherwise everything sounds good.

Your roo is healing just fine from your description, and it is possible that a ligament in his wing was torn. Depending on how bad the injury is, he may always drag his wing a bit.

To be honest, it sounds like your roo might be slightly improved by this, since he had the wandering spirit and the wings to get him into trouble before.

I don't condone deliberately maiming a bird, but you may find that you can reap the benefits if you don't have to worry about this little man "flying the coop", so to speak.

He is doing much better today. Still keeping the wing very close to his body but doing better. He crowed 3x today which is more than he has done all week.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom