Do we have two roosters?

The program says the breeds they use are Australorp, New Hampshire Sussex, Black and White Leghorn, and Lohmanns

Do you think the two cockerels are different breeds?

The program says the breeds they use are Australorp, New Hampshire Sussex, Black and White Leghorn, and Lohmanns

Do you think the two cockerels are different breeds?
I see you posted the pics while I was typing. :eek:) Yes, your two cockerels are two different breeds; the solid white one is a White Plymouth Rock and the other one is a Red Sex Link (Lohmann Brown), which is actually a hybrid rather than a true breed.

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to the BYC flock!  We are glad you joined us!

:cd :jumpy :welcome :jumpy :cd

Secondly, they are both cockerels.  They both have very noticable saddle feathers.

Also, just curious, have you been happy with your crow collar?

It took a while to get the placement correct. And he still does crow but it a lot softer were hoping this will let us keep him as there now laws but a nussiance issue where the neighbours could have it removed. Also he's very smart and get the girls to pull on it and then he's able to loosen it. We are thinking of trying a different type

I want to thank all of you guys for answering my questions.

I have one last question! We are attached to both and since they seem to be getting along would you recommend getting more hens? We only have 4 (since 2 are cockerels) and our yard can have up to 12 but we were thinking keeping both cockerels as our aw link seems very mellow but might it be too much on our 4 little hens?

2 boys will be too much for your girls, even one boy would be too much, honestly. Get at least 12 more girls, or rehome one boy and get another 4 mature girls. You will want to get mature hens, not chicks or pullets, since they will try to breed with the younger girls before they are ready.

I totally agree with Junebuggena - roosters can overbreed hens to the point of damage and even death. A rooster can handle 10 hens, you would need 20 hens to keep them both busy. Also when firmly entrenched as a rooster with a flock of hens, they can turn aggressive towards humans. If you don't intend to sell fertile eggs or hatch them out, there is really no reason to have any rooster. Most tend to become more trouble than they are worth. Hens will lay just as much without a rooster, though they will be non fertile
eggs.

I want to thank all of you guys for answering my questions.

I have one last question! We are attached to both and since they seem to be getting along would you recommend getting more hens? We only have 4 (since 2 are cockerels) and our yard can have up to 12 but we were thinking keeping both cockerels as our aw link seems very mellow but might it be too much on our 4 little hens?
You're welcome.

2 boys will be too much for your girls, even one boy would be too much, honestly. Get at least 12 more girls, or rehome one boy and get another 4 mature girls. You will want to get mature hens, not chicks or pullets, since they will try to breed with the younger girls before they are ready.
X2 on junebuggena.

Back
Top Bottom