Do Welsummmer have leg problems?

Reason I asked, is because I had some that seemed to hit a growth spurt around 16 weeks (not absolutely certain about exact age), and started to act a little sore in the joints, kind of like a cornish/rock cross gets when they are growing too fast. I had to put the two biggest ones down because their leg joints just seemed to give out finally. At that point I moved the whole lot out of the grow-out pen, and turned them out to free range. I also increased their scratch ration, and put them on limited amounts of 16% lay pellets instead of starter/grower. It took about a week, before it was obvious that the problem was starting to clear up, and now you cannot see it at all (just turning 20 weeks old). It seemed that the biggest and fastest growing were the ones affected.

Jim

This is not breed related, except that some breeds seem to need more protein than others.

I think that would kind of make it breed related, though not necessarily restricted to a single breed.
I had a dozen Delawares of the same age in with the Welsumers, and none of the Delawares were affected. I will certainly be watching any Welsumers I raise from now on. I will also make a greater effort to avoid any mixed hatches.

Jim​

I got my Welsummers from a hatchery and the roo was fine until he took a growth spurt. He reminds me a lot of meat birds the way he walks - sort of waddles- and appears very awkward when he tries to run. He certainly is a big, heavy bird. Would regular laying feed be better than the chick grower? I can add some scratch feed too if that will cut back on protein level and see if that helps.

I keep all my birds on 20% grower, with the chicks getting 24% starter, and I've never had problems such as you mention. I wold NOT give the cockerels layer feed, since the calcium is too high for non-laying birds.

Do you know what % protein the birds have actually been getting?

Also, have you tested for Mycoplasma, or have you seen any respiratory signs?

Quote:
The flock is or was comprised of 15 that came from Meyers hatchery, and 13 that hatched from 2 dozen (actually got 27) eggs purchased from a breeder. Interesting question, but I didn't keep them separately identified. I do not show birds nor do I have an interest in joining the crowds who offer "show quality" hatching eggs for sale. However, I do pay attention to the SoP and try to follow the guidelines therein. As with all breeders, the seller expounded at length on the high quality of his stock, and I was pleased with the color of the eggs. They also represented about the best hatch I have had from shipped eggs. It would have been interesting and enlightening to know if the problem was limited to only those birds from one source.
amazondoc;
No respiratory problems at all. Did not test for anything, as there was no overriding reason (symptoms), and the problem cleared up in fairly short order after changing the feeding regimen.
I do not personally believe the stories about calcium being harmful to chickens which are not laying, unless it were to comprise an abnormally high percentage of the diet. Chick size oyster shell is readily available, and is often given free choice to youngsters without any problems.
Do you raise Welsumers on the feeding regimen you outline?, how many at a time?, hatched from your own eggs or purchased? Not trying to be nosy, just find this thread very interesting.

Jim

My eggs came from someone here. I have heard a lot of other people have hatched this persons eggs and haven't heard of any problems. I too do not believe that layer feed could hurt a cockrel. How can feed your hens without your roo getting the same thing? Not to mention I have fed laying mash to all my cockrels with no problem. I have to wonder from what Dirt Road says if maybe they actually did need the extra calcium? My birds don't have any respiratory problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom