do white leghorns and brown leghorns lay the same amout of eggs

jeremy frenz

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
portland OR
i was wondering if white leghorns and brown leghorns lay the same amout of eggs?
caf.gif

Jeremy, while I can't speak from experience, Murray McMurray hatchery says their pearl white leghorns are their best white egg layer.

Hope this helps.

bigzio

I wonder also, are brown leghorns friendlier? I know the the white ones are notorious for being of the more ornery breed.

Do the Browns lay white eggs??

ive never had the whites but the browns lay quite well.pretty sure all leghorns lay white eggs.some have said the leghorns are spooky or not as tame as some other breeds though.we have found that with a basket full of crickets once a week or so, any of them will crawl all over you.

We own both brown and white leghorns. The white leghorns have laid everyday and in my opinion are not as flighty as the brown. In fact, one of our friendliest hens is a white leghorn. The eggs from the white leghorn are larger than the brown as well, though that may just be our particular hens.

The brown lay 5 out of 7 days on average and as I stated before are definitely more flighty. Yes brown leghorns lay white eggs.

This is our experience. I think each individual hen is different and others may have different experiences with the breed.

Back
Top Bottom