do white leghorns and brown leghorns lay the same amout of eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeremy frenz, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jeremy frenz

jeremy frenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    portland OR
    i was wondering if white leghorns and brown leghorns lay the same amout of eggs? [​IMG]

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Jeremy, while I can't speak from experience, Murray McMurray hatchery says their pearl white leghorns are their best white egg layer.

Hope this helps.

bigzio

3. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    I wonder also, are brown leghorns friendlier? I know the the white ones are notorious for being of the more ornery breed.

Do the Browns lay white eggs??

4. Blake

Blake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Gurley,Al
    ive never had the whites but the browns lay quite well.pretty sure all leghorns lay white eggs.some have said the leghorns are spooky or not as tame as some other breeds though.we have found that with a basket full of crickets once a week or so, any of them will crawl all over you.

5. livestock101

livestock101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2007
    We own both brown and white leghorns. The white leghorns have laid everyday and in my opinion are not as flighty as the brown. In fact, one of our friendliest hens is a white leghorn. The eggs from the white leghorn are larger than the brown as well, though that may just be our particular hens.

The brown lay 5 out of 7 days on average and as I stated before are definitely more flighty. Yes brown leghorns lay white eggs.

This is our experience. I think each individual hen is different and others may have different experiences with the breed.

6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    They both are great egg layers. I think White Leghorns lay a little better but not by much. IMO ALL Leghorns are flighty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by