New flock planning?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
My layer hens have all passed from old age, and the chooks I have now are show chickens that barely lay. We’ve been buying grocery store eggs and I am starting to miss fresh eggs but I am a bit rusty on my layer breeds.

I will be starting two flocks, 6-7 hens with 1 rooster in each. So around 12-14 hens in total? We use up around 5-10 eggs a day.

I got a bunch of chicks, eggs, and pullets and I am looking to give some away if I end up with too many. here are the breeds i got and how much they are estimated to lay (correct me if im wrong)
  • Bielefelder: Extra Large - 250
  • Barred rocks: Large - 250
  • White leghorn: Extra Large - 300
  • Light sussex: Large - 250
  • Black Australorp: Medium - 250
  • Ameraucana: Medium - 200
looking to end up with:
First flock:
- Australorp roo
- 2 Australorp hens
- 2 Barred rocks
- 3 White leghorns
Second flock:
- Ameraucana roo
- 3 Ameraucana hens
- 2 light sussex
- 2 Bielefelders
Only an estimate since plans might change

First flock im looking to breed for eggs while second I am mostly just going to breed the ameracaunas since a lot of people seem to be looking for them. Not sure how many eggs I should be able to get from the two flocks or if there would be any issues, can anybody give insight?

Last edited:
What's the temp like in Indonesia? I ask because we've been considering Bielefelders for ourselves, but I'm apprehensive after hearing they don't do well in humid heat. I've also heard they take a while to start laying (maybe 9 months vs the usual 6?), and stop a bit earlier than other breeds. If you're mostly interested in the auto-sexing, can you sub them out for Legbars?

What's the temp like in Indonesia? I ask because we've been considering Bielefelders for ourselves, but I'm apprehensive after hearing they don't do well in humid heat. I've also heard they take a while to start laying (maybe 9 months vs the usual 6?), and stop a bit earlier than other breeds. If you're mostly interested in the auto-sexing, can you sub them out for Legbars?
Varies a lot here some places scorching hot while some places are cold. My city tends to be a little on the cooler side (I live in the mountains) 16-28C/60F-85F with humidity being around 50-70%. Would they do fine?
I've heard from some they can be finnicky with food and can have digestive issues if there's a sudden change in their food.
unfortunantely we don't have legbars here.

I've heard from some they can be finnicky with food and can have digestive issues if there's a sudden change in their food.
I've heard the same thing! I don't know if it's because they eat so much or what. They certainly seem to be built differently than the average heritage breed.

Your temps don't seem that much different than our summers. I guess it also depends on how you're keeping them. We have to confine, and our property is in full sun. So lots of shade cloths, fans, wading pools, etc. It's a big to-do keeping the birds cool. If you're free-ranging and they can run into the woods/brush for shade, I can't image it being an issue.

Any reason you're avoiding Orpingtons? I see them top a lot of egg layer lists, though I suppose you run the risk of broodiness more so than with the Australorps or Rocks.

I've heard the same thing! I don't know if it's because they eat so much or what. They certainly seem to be built differently than the average heritage breed.

Your temps don't seem that much different than our summers. I guess it also depends on how you're keeping them. We have to confine, and our property is in full sun. So lots of shade cloths, fans, wading pools, etc. It's a big to-do keeping the birds cool. If you're free-ranging and they can run into the woods/brush for shade, I can't image it being an issue.

Any reason you're avoiding Orpingtons? I see them top a lot of egg layer lists, though I suppose you run the risk of broodiness more so than with the Australorps or Rocks.
I have giant trees all over my property so we barely get any full sun (but when we do the chickens love sun-bathing under). The temperature doesn't usually go over 80 unless its the hotter months. our run is mostly covered by trees so its mostly shaded.

I love Orpingtons but unfortunately they are crazy expensive here, I hope they will be more readily available soon. The chicks are hundreds of dollars :he. My old layer flock were golden comets and leghorns. Back then importers only import fancy show breeds, over the last two years layers started being affordable.

Holy moly! That's insane.

It sounds like you have an awesome setup for warmer months, so I would absolutely give the Bielefelders a shot. Hope you'll post pics! 😁
Thank you! I have contacted a breeder about them, and I’m on a waiting list for the eggs, Will be posting the results of the hatch!

here are the breeds i got and how much they are estimated to lay
Any estimate of egg production by breed is just a guess. Part of that depends on what criteria the breeder uses to select his breeders. If they are breeding for show or meat they may not pay any attention to how many or what size of eggs they lay. This can really vary by flock.

Even if they do select by how many eggs are laid an individual can vary a lot. Those averages mean something if you are talking about the average of a larger flock of hens. Any individual may be a lot worse than the flock average. If you can, I'd suggest you keep the pullets long enough to evaluate them for laying before selecting your keepers.

Roosters don't lay eggs but they contribute half the genetics for how well their daughters lay. If you know how well their mothers and grandmothers lay you have a decent idea on what genetics they night contribute. Your goals do not mention meat. With your goals I'd be happy with any of the roosters for the laying flock except the Ameraucana because of the averages assuming you know nothing about how their mothers or grandmothers laid.

• Bielefelder: Extra Large - 250
  • Barred rocks: Large - 250
  • White leghorn: Extra Large - 300
  • Light sussex: Large - 250
  • Black Australorp: Medium - 250
  • Ameraucana: Medium - 200
looking to end up with:
First flock:
- Australorp roo
- 2 Australorp hens
- 2 Barred rocks
- 3 White leghorns
If you can't evaluate their laying this is as good as any. With this rooster crossed with Australorp hens you'll get black chicks. With BR hens you get black sex links, the girls will be black and the boys will feather out barred. I'd expect the leghorn chicks to be white.

Second flock:

- Ameraucana roo
- 3 Ameraucana hens
- 2 light sussex
- 2 Bielefelders
There are eight different approved colors/patterns for Ameraucana in the US, not sure what you have there. So I cannot guess what colors or patterns the chicks' feathers might have. Your Ameraucana hens should give you pullets that lay blue eggs, the Bielefelders could lay dark brown eggs which may give you olive eggers. The Sussex should lay relatively light brown eggs so their pullets should lay a lighter green egg. Should be a nice basket.

Any estimate of egg production by breed is just a guess. Part of that depends on what criteria the breeder uses to select his breeders. If they are breeding for show or meat they may not pay any attention to how many or what size of eggs they lay. This can really vary by flock.

Even if they do select by how many eggs are laid an individual can vary a lot. Those averages mean something if you are talking about the average of a larger flock of hens. Any individual may be a lot worse than the flock average. If you can, I'd suggest you keep the pullets long enough to evaluate them for laying before selecting your keepers.

Roosters don't lay eggs but they contribute half the genetics for how well their daughters lay. If you know how well their mothers and grandmothers lay you have a decent idea on what genetics they night contribute. Your goals do not mention meat. With your goals I'd be happy with any of the roosters for the laying flock except the Ameraucana because of the averages assuming you know nothing about how their mothers or grandmothers laid.
Wow thank you so much that helped me out so much! Alright I will be keeping the pullets till hatch then!

I am keeping the ameraucanas mainly because they were my dream breed, plus the blue eggs are fun.
If you can't evaluate their laying this is as good as any. With this rooster crossed with Australorp hens you'll get black chicks. With BR hens you get black sex links, the girls will be black and the boys will feather out barred. I'd expect the leghorn chicks to be white.
There are eight different approved colors/patterns for Ameraucana in the US, not sure what you have there. So I cannot guess what colors or patterns the chicks' feathers might have. Your Ameraucana hens should give you pullets that lay blue eggs, the Bielefelders could lay dark brown eggs which may give you olive eggers. The Sussex should lay relatively light brown eggs so their pullets should lay a lighter green egg. Should be a nice basket.
For the ameraucanas I already bought some pullets and cocks (I got two cockerels to see how they people and their ladies), they will be picked up within two days.
I got some F1 offspring, parents are from the US so they shouldn't be too different. They are still very rare here and so I only know 2 breeders across the whole country. Got some blues, whites, and reds.

Thank you, I was looking to breed some olive eggers since nobody really sell those here. Can't wait until the pullets start laying :wee. Will be updating once they arrive.

I talked to the seller and turns out they have some easter and olive eggers, they recommended them over the ameraucanas for egg production, and after some considerstions I decided to go for them. I got two cockerels and three pullets, plus got a bonus australorp hen.

I think I fell in love with australorps, she is just so lovely and I love the sheen they have. Pictures don’t do them justice.

Here are some pics of them as i was giving them some electrolytes for the long trip, please excuse the mud and dead plants, we are currently renovating the area.
IMG_0731.jpeg
IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg
IMG_0725.jpeg

Fluffy legs! (Wonder what this one was mixed with)

I’m thinking of keeping the white rooster, he is very respectful to the ladies and keeps out of my way. Plus I think he looks gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom