Do ya think she is broody?

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
14 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
This morning when I went out to open the chicken dwellings, I found a white cochin pullet out and about. I thought nothing of it, and went about my business. I just went out for my midday egg check and found 4 in the boxes. Not a lot for having about 25-30 pullets and hens who could or should be laying. I thought it was time to take a walk around to see if there were any hiding in the weeds and grass. I spied me a white something just about 3 feet in the grass. At first, I thought, "Oh no, something killed a chicken." Nope, it was my White Cochin sitting on a nest, gettin' broody with 16 eggs!!!!! under her. She just started laying a month ago! The silly thing. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any more eggs that 7. Now I better go on an egg hunt and broaden my scope since I have about 25-30 who should or could be laying. 7 eggs just isn't right. I also think it is time to get my grass and weeds cut down. Me Pollo Loco Muy Muy Loco!!! (My son is taking his first year of Spanish and uses me to practice off his sheets.)

Funny! My Cochins are notorious for going broody! It's funny how they can gather up those eggs!
tongue.png

They were obviously all her eggs. I didn't trust that they were worth eating or hatching since she hasn't been sitting on them a lot. This is her first time. I need to break her now and maybe try getting her to brood some in January or February. Watch, she won't do it then.
She was out all night again last night, but her nest is empty. I did find another little stash though. Some EEs have been hiding a few eggs under a piece of linoleum I had out getting sunwashed before putting it away. I happened to see one come out from under it singing her egg song. I then thought I better check it out. Good thing, there were 5 eggs under it. The fools, they have 4 nice boxes in the coop and 4 outside, but still go find some hiding spot. They were just laying them though, no one was setting. At least now I know where to look.

You can certainly check the eggs with the float test to see if they are still good. Put the eggs, one by one, in water. If they float, they are no good and should be tossed.

Thanks, I forgot that one. I did candle them and thought there was something in 2, but I am not really hurting for eggs at the moment, so it was okay.

Back
Top Bottom