Do yo feed Your flock KITCHEn scraps...

Already shared in another thread, but yes:
961C9335-678D-4D7E-A5AE-4802C94C9E51.jpeg

I try to avoid bread and bean products. Or stuff with lots of sugar.

But there are many things you can give them.

Sometimes its kind of a chore to remember all the 'don't feed' items. I have to keep this list for both ducks and rabbits.

In addition to their high protein feed I also feed them (treat them) with shrimp shell, fish bone, the leftover cooked carcass from birds that have been invited FOR dinner, a bit of raw meat (like hamburger) etc. When the birds have had their fill of the treats, I then allow my dog to clean up after them. These sorts of treats offer high calcium and protein. I don't worry about the cockerels or rooster getting too much calcium as the likelihood of a male chicken seeing beyond two or three years of age before being invited FOR dinner is slim.
Someone's probably gonna say what a bad idea this is; but I've been doing it this way for well over a decade and none of my animals have suffered from the practice.

In addition to their high protein feed I also feed them (treat them) with shrimp shell, fish bone, the leftover cooked carcass from birds that have been invited FOR dinner, a bit of raw meat (like hamburger) etc. When the birds have had their fill of the treats, I then allow my dog to clean up after them. These sorts of treats offer high calcium and protein. I don't worry about the cockerels or rooster getting too much calcium as the likelihood of a male chicken seeing beyond two or three years of age before being invited FOR dinner is slim.
Someone's probably gonna say what a bad idea this is; but I've been doing it this way for well over a decade and none of my animals have suffered from the practice.
Thanx tycine for the information.

Yes.

One of the things I like about having chickens is the ability to turn scraps, trimmings, and the leftovers the family has lost interest in into eggs and compost.

I'm careful to keep a balance and to not give them anything too salty or too fatty.

Agree, to me that’s a big part of the draw to poultry ownership.

Back
Top Bottom