Do you always add to your flock...

we did just that, went to a show and came home with more chickens. I didn't anticipate how much my resident chickens would hate that. I have 2 flocks now cause my golden comets will not accept newcomers!

I go to swaps a lot. I've never brought home a chicken. I did once meet up with a friend who brought some muscovies for me, right after my drake was killed. I had only one lonely duck, and desperately needed some duckie friends for her.

Then one time I saw the most beautiful bantam buff brahma pullet, and I wanted her so very much! She was so clean and healthy and lovely... But I hadn't gone to the swap intending to buy anything (I was selling birds that day), so I wasn't prepared to quarantine anything. I had to pass on her. That's the only time I have ever been tempted. That bird was simply spectacular!

No, I only hatch eggs. We have a policy that we never, ever bring in started birds, period, especially from swaps, flea markets, etc. Too many terrible diseases that can decimate the healthy flock we already have.

Back
Top Bottom