Do you always add to your flock...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jerseygirl1, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    When you go to a chicken swap/show, etc? Or, is it just me that seems to come home with two or more chickens every time I go? Like, every weekend?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I probably would if I ever got to go to one.

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    we did just that, went to a show and came home with more chickens. I didn't anticipate how much my resident chickens would hate that. I have 2 flocks now cause my golden comets will not accept newcomers!

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I go to swaps a lot. I've never brought home a chicken. I did once meet up with a friend who brought some muscovies for me, right after my drake was killed. I had only one lonely duck, and desperately needed some duckie friends for her.

Then one time I saw the most beautiful bantam buff brahma pullet, and I wanted her so very much! She was so clean and healthy and lovely... But I hadn't gone to the swap intending to buy anything (I was selling birds that day), so I wasn't prepared to quarantine anything. I had to pass on her. That's the only time I have ever been tempted. That bird was simply spectacular!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, I only hatch eggs. We have a policy that we never, ever bring in started birds, period, especially from swaps, flea markets, etc. Too many terrible diseases that can decimate the healthy flock we already have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by