Do you break/bend any rules during the harsh winters?

I do, too. Food and water go in the coop when it’s lower than 25 ish degrees here. At that rate the water freezes too quickly here and there is only power in the coop, so I use a heated waterer.

I also supply heat when it gets under 20 degrees. I know people say that they don’t need it, but I love my chickens and I can safely supply them heat, so I do. We just use radiant heaters. It’s been ranging from -35 to -10 here the past 5 days/nights, so I have no problem helping my girls through the frigid temps.
Mine get the spoiled treatment too, I just think how they would be happiest warm and cozy, but I try not to over do it.. 1single heat lamp, and for the first time ever, I just added a "for plants" warming mat under some of their straw, to help keep eggs from freezing and cracking. I'm also a little worried they may get frost bit if coop warms up a bit and the humidity changes, so I'll be on the watch to see how the plant mat effects them. Always checking on them these cold nights, they seem happy at least to me.

I keep things the same - food and water in the coop.

I did move the water bucket on top of a slab of 2" foam board insulation, though. It is inside a bigger pail so they can't eat the foam board. Now the water will stay drinkable from dawn until after they roost for the night without a heater or changing out the water - down at least as low as single digit highs.

I tried spray foam around the sides too (between the water bucket and the bigger pail) but so far have just made messes. If the temps drop more, I might try again or try a different kind of insulation there or adding a hot water bottle there. Or not bother. I check on them; I just don't want to have to do so.

Mine get the spoiled treatment too, I just think how they would be happiest warm and cozy, but I try not to over do it.. 1single heat lamp, and for the first time ever, I just added a "for plants" warming mat under some of their straw, to help keep eggs from freezing and cracking. I'm also a little worried they may get frost bit if coop warms up a bit and the humidity changes, so I'll be on the watch to see how the plant mat effects them. Always checking on them these cold nights, they seem happy at least to me.
I’m gonna have to try that. I like that idea. Mine choose to lay in the corners of their coop behind supplies instead of nesting boxes 🙄 so it’s always a little more chilly back there. Last year I did wrap a pet heating pad around their roost when it got down to -20, but this year I didn’t bother and we just stuck with the radiant heaters.

Back
Top Bottom