What do you feed during cold weather?

Do you think COB (rolled corn, oats, and barley) would work? I add it to the horses' feed in winter but not sure if the other grains would be OK for the chickens?

Normal chicken feed (crumbles or pellets) is a mixture that has lots of grain and some other things (protein, vitamins, minerals) to make it balanced. If they eat more of the normal feed to stay warm in the winter they are fine. If they eat a large amount of other grains, they eat less of the normal feed, and they end up short of protein and some of the other things that were not in the grains.

A small amount of COB or other grains is fine as a treat for chickens, but if you give them very much you will need to pay attention to properly balancing the nutrients of that and other food.

Since you already have horses: don't bother buying "scratch" for chickens. The COB or any whole grain will work fine for the purpose. The "purpose" of scratch is mostly to toss something and let the chickens have fun scratching and picking it up, but giving them very much of it will cause nutritional imbalance (see previous paragraphs), regardless of whether it was sold with a picture of a chicken or a horse on the package.

If you just want to give them a treat, without having to think about the nutrients involved, a general rule of thumb is to limit treats for standard sized chickens to about 1 Tablespoon per chicken per day (this works for scratch or whole grains or various other things, in pretty much any combination.)

Normal chicken feed (crumbles or pellets) is a mixture that has lots of grain and some other things (protein, vitamins, minerals) to make it balanced. If they eat more of the normal feed to stay warm in the winter they are fine. If they eat a large amount of other grains, they eat less of the normal feed, and they end up short of protein and some of the other things that were not in the grains.

A small amount of COB or other grains is fine as a treat for chickens, but if you give them very much you will need to pay attention to properly balancing the nutrients of that and other food.

Since you already have horses: don't bother buying "scratch" for chickens. The COB or any whole grain will work fine for the purpose. The "purpose" of scratch is mostly to toss something and let the chickens have fun scratching and picking it up, but giving them very much of it will cause nutritional imbalance (see previous paragraphs), regardless of whether it was sold with a picture of a chicken or a horse on the package.

If you just want to give them a treat, without having to think about the nutrients involved, a general rule of thumb is to limit treats for standard sized chickens to about 1 Tablespoon per chicken per day (this works for scratch or whole grains or various other things, in pretty much any combination.)
Thank you! This is so helpful. I've been wondering what a rational limit for treats would be.

Yes, I think the wet feed does help with hydration during the winter, but the biggest benefit is just that the chickens enjoy it and the humans feel happy to see the chickens enjoy it :)

You could give them dry pellets (available all the time), and also provide some of the ground feed (soaked so they eat all the little bits, but a small enough quantity that they eat it all before it freezes.) Of course that would mean buying and serving two kinds of feed (more bother), but it is one way to get some of the good points of each option.
Good idea! I already have the bag of pellets that they refused and was going to try a new "no waste" feeder so I can just give them pellets in the feeder they have been wasting with 😁

We feed the same thing all year, a 20% all flock feed, with oyster shell in a separate dish.
X2
Horses, a different world! Ours graze on pasture, and when it's done, get grass hay free choice. Salt and trace mineral blocks, and a bit of bagged feed most days during winter. All super easy keepers here! Pasture pets...
Mary
Also x2

You could give them dry pellets (available all the time), and also provide some of the ground feed (soaked so they eat all the little bits, but a small enough quantity that they eat it all before it freezes.) Of course that would mean buying and serving two kinds of feed (more bother), but it is one way to get some of the good points of each option.
This is pretty similar to how I feed. Dry pellets available all day, wet/fermented whole grain feed in morning. In freezing weather I put out a lot less FF so the birds can eat it before it freezes solid, though we don't tend to get a lot of temperatures that low so it's generally not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom