do you consider a bird/breed to be pure if?

Hate to revisit this theme in light of the recent Ameraucana thread that resulted in some hurt feelings for a genuinely nice person, but if you are saying, Jean, that a "purebred" Ameraucana must be a recognized color, what would that make a Splash Ameraucana with 2 purebred Ameraucana parents? Isn't Splash likely to occur in Ameraucanas, even ones you'd define as "purebred," or am I missing something? If Splash IS possible, and its not recognized as a color for show purposes, I'm confused...

Laura

I still feel that person is selling ee's.... General Lee the rooster has green legs check the picture please. Also, be clear, I am not saying she is not nice or she doesn't provide good customer service to her buyers, she does quite well on Ebay and you can't do that without doing something right.

But to the other question, splash is the exception. They are not a recognized color of ameraucana though. But, if you breed splash to splash the offspring will be splash, so they breed true.

In my mind I would agree to a point that "technically" if you are crossing only ameraucanas to ameraucanas they are still ameraucanas, but they are not standard. But at the ABC, (which was quoted earlier) if it does not breed true it is an ee. I will abid by that definition as a breeder and a member of the Club.

You need to be up front when you are not selling the standard as most people who want to get into ameraucanas want show or standard quality birds and that is why they pay the extra money for breeding. It takes alot more time and effort to get standard birds than to just through some birds together.

Just saying they are mixed colors is not enough either as newbies don't recognize what that could mean. They don't have the knowlege to ask the correct questions.

I can't tell you how many people have told me they paid all this money and have birds that are not correct.
sad.png
I get e-mails and phone calls every spring about it. It even happened to me four years ago, but I was basically lied to. To me it is a matter of principle, be up front on what you have and find out what the person is really looking for. Maybe it is a matter of continually educating people.

You can agree or disagree, and that is your right, here in America.....
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I think it's really interesting & helpful, too, that you started out with EEs, Jean, and then made breeding "true" Ameraucana chickens your focus. It demonstrates that you have the tried & true experience to know what you're talking about. Thanks for the feedback on the splash issue. It is actually close to my heart because I have one black Ameraucana hen from Lisa Cree lines and one splash Ameraucana roo (who, to the best of my knowledge, is also the result of a pairing of 2 "true" parents). I also have one egg - only one - that's incubating from what I hope is a successful mating between the two. If the chick that results (being optimistic) is blue or black, from what I gathered from your last post it would qualify as a "true" Ameraucana. Is that right?

Thanks again for your feedback,

Laura

Yippee! Thanks, Jean!! 21 days should be right around 3/11. If I ever get my act together well enough to actually figure out how to post pics (I know, I've heard again & again how easy it is, but I'm seriously technologically impaired), I'll post one if said bouncing chick emerges.
smile.png

Laura

I think the OP was asking in reference to what to call her eggs for the swap. For the people that ask for "pure" eggs, I think they will be expecting a "pure" color as well. As far as a private sale, of course she could explain the details.

And, I don't think "blue" is the exception, as in it's pure form, it does breed true. They are splashes. You breed a splash to a splash and you get splash. That's breeding true in a pure form.

i was asking,,,for that reason,,,,i had a fire ,everyone stopped laying except this pen of polish,,,but i didnt want to disappoint anyone,,,so i didnt send them,,,
i didnt know what to do,,,,,,thanks for the information though,,,,it did help,and very interesting,,

But, KS Acres, you can breed blue to blue and get splash. Blue will yield 50% Blue, 25 % Black 25% splash chicks...

Back
Top Bottom