Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hi, I was just wondering how many people disinfected their coop. I'm trying to decide if I should do it annually. It seems like it would just get dirty and full of germs the next day. Thanks!

I clean my coop out really well every week or two. I do not understand disinfecting it. What do you use and how do you apply it. My coop has some dirt in it that is just beyond gross......chickens are not clean animals. I try to scrape off the poop from the wood perches and stuff, but there is always something left behind. What do you apply to make it disinfected?

Many people spray their coops down with certain bleach mixtures. Thanks for voting!

I use a approx. 15% bleach solution when I clean the coop. I clean twice a year, usually late March and mid to late October.

I use in a one gallon pump sprayer bottle. I also use a mask and open all windows and doors.

I've done this for approx. 4 years now and my results have been very good. Since I've done this I no longer have scaley leg mite problem and no signs of another disease issues with my flock.

I have never disinfected our coop. I do clear it out regularly and try to keep things hygienic by moving it frequently (it's the kind that travels about the yard) so that they're on fresh ground, not keeping more chickens than the coop can easily accommodate and letting them out to free-range as much as possible. I haven't had any health problems in the flock yet. I think most health and parasite issues happen when a flock is too crowded and confined... I hate bleach (and Lysol, etc) and wouldn't use them unless I had a definite problem I was trying to tackle, never for just general routine.

I would like to say I do it annually, but like Spring Cleaning on the house, it often gets pushed aside *sigh* I too do maintenance (clean the droppings board, empty shavings 2x a year, etc. Disinfecting helps get the bacteria and other "critters" that may be hiding in the woodwork.

Back
Top Bottom