do you eat your first eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 04SportsterChick, Aug 14, 2011.

1. 04SportsterChick

04SportsterChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maryland
    My husband remembers when he had chickens as a kid they never ate the first few eggs from the chickens. Has anyone heard this? Was it just his wacky family;)

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I have never heard of this, I see no reason why not to eat the first eggs, and I always have.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Some people are concerned about the "first eggs" due to the residual medicated feed that may have gone into production of that egg. Well if you have eaten store bought eggs you can only imagine what you have eaten. Hormones,medication and who knows what else. I would rather take my chances with my eggs any day.

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

The first egg was the best tasting egg--hands down. It was little, but I took small bites and savored each bite. I'm just glad I didn't have to share! What would you do with them if you didn't eat them????

5. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    We ate our very first eggs last week and they were delicious! We're not dead yet.[​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    YUP your DH's family is wacked! [​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I cooked our first teeny little egg with butter, then divided it four ways (one itty bitty bite) so my kids, my husband and I could all have a bite. Also since we were egg-centric that day had pancakes and eggs for dinner! Too bad all the eggs weren't home grown that day![​IMG]

8. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    [​IMG] I got my first egg three weeks ago, I kept it for several days, showed it to EVERYONE and sent pictures to everyone else..... took more pictures of it than my firstborn [​IMG] and when I had four eggs (so we could all eat one) [​IMG] we eat them up with great joy!! [​IMG] Oh and it was soooooooooo good! [​IMG] Go ahead, its the best treat youll ever eat!![​IMG]

9. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Our chickens just started laying last week...my husband has eaten the eggs, but I haven't tried them yet. He said the flavor is amazing...so go ahead!!! Enjoy....

10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    My very first eggs I admired for a couple of days before I ate them. Now I just admire a new pullet's egg for as long as it take to walk to the fridge. Yes I eat the eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by