do you ever get bad depression or panic attacks?

Don't get discouraged! Most antidepressants take some time to work. It can actually be more than a few weeks before you see your improvement. Keep in contact with your doctor. If the crying jags persist, you need to go in to the doctor. Your doctor works for you, remember that. He's there to do one job, which is to help you feel better.

One tip - It's a good idea the first couple weeks you take a new medication(or even longer if you can stick with it), to be keeping a diary of how you feel and any difficulties you might notice - a calendar is a good way to do that. Just a quick note for each day can help keep track of number of bad days vs good. It shows better than anything, an overall pattern of symptoms. You need to see that pattern and the doc needs to see it. This allows the doctor to have some real solid information about how well your medication is working.

It doesn't have to be fancy. A couple folks I know use a red, a yellow, and a green marker. For really bad days, they just take a second to put a red dot on that day. Yellow is for mild difficulties. Green is for the days you feel better. It's very easy to add those up and see how things are improving.

Another tip - make sure your doctor knows if you are using any herbs or natural treatments or supplements. They don't always play well with each other, so doc needs to be made aware of any possible interactions. And for example you shouldn't take St. John's Wort when you're taking an antidepressant medication like Lexapro.

There are so many different possibilities with treating depression. You said you'd had a lot of treatment, sometimes it requires one medication, other times, a combination of medicines, and time to work through the doses of each. You're going to get to a good point with this, so just keep the faith and hang in there!

Too, you need to get enough sleep, get good food into you, and talk with supportive people who are ready to cheer you on and recognize your efforts. Sorry if I sound like a Mom, LOL! But depression tires your body out and you need rest and good food to fight it(that REALLY sounds like a Mom!).

Meaningful activities are important too, I don't know if you would enjoy volunteer work, but it sure can help to remind you, even during tough times, there's a reason you're here and people who love you and need you.

Last edited:
Quote:
If your doctor is confused it may mean that he's tinkering beyond his expertise. Find a more suitable doctor!

Don't underestimate depression and panic attacks. They can be mild and very occasional or can become a chronic condition if not properly treated. The problem usually stems from some unresolved emotional issue, perhaps from many years ago and perhaps forgotten by the conscious mind. Most people with depression can be cured with, perhaps, the help of a light dose of drugs at the outset and appropriate therapy. Fail to get the right treatment and a person may develop a chronic condition which can be controlled, not cured, by a lifetime of drugs. Seek the suggestions of friends by all means but, above all, find a doctor who is qualified and experienced in the treatment and sure of depression and panic attacks.

I have suffered from suicidal manic depression since the age of 13.

meds did not work for me and I was hospitalized at 15

A fortune in therapy taught me how to recognize when a downswing was coming in time to stop the spiral.

Learn to recognize the personal behaviors in yourself, they are probably different for each individule.

for me - I look for the following

loss of appetite and/or rapid weight gain (i've done both prior to a spiral)
insomnia - the kind where you are up all night usually afraid or scared
the nobody needs me so why am I here blues
too ugly to be seen in public so I won't leave my house

dh usually recognizes the signs before I do, over the years I have learned what I need to do to bring myself back up.

Having another human being in your life you can trust with ALL of your feelings and secrets is critical to success. It might take a few therapists before you find one you can connect with.

You CAN conquer depression, but it takes work, from the inside.

Quote:
I sympathise with what you must have gone through and congratulate you on how you are handling it. Good advice from experience for others too. Someone very close to me suffered in much the same way but the outcome was not so good.

Back
Top Bottom