Do you free range your chickens?

Pics
For my chickens, I let only a few chickens out a day and leave some in the enclosure. Since my chickens like to stay together as a flock, the chickens I placed out for free range will stick around the coop and wait for me to open the door so they can go in for the night with their friends. Then I rotate and let chickens out who didn't go out last time. I have an area with lots of hawks. As long as I let some out every day and not all of them, the hawks never attack. It's a nifty trick I use.

As long as I let some out every day and not all of them,

I have no idea how you achieve this. When I open the door to the run I find myself in the middle of a feathered flood.

I used too. Live on five acres and it was wild round up because some didn't want to go to the coop at night and i had to get them out of trees. Sometimes they would move trees the next night if I found them and get snatched I wasn't able to get to them in time. If you have trees, don't free range.

There's an article for this:

Getting Chickens Out Of Trees.....and into their coops.

I have no idea how you achieve this. When I open the door to the run I find myself in the middle of a feathered flood.

There's an article for this:

Getting Chickens Out Of Trees.....and into their coops.

I don't know. Our area definitely doesn't lack predators. It could be that I have been lucky so far. Another reason is that our coop is in the middle of our field probably discouraging predators from coming out in the open. At night, the chickens are kept locked up and safe. As far as the hawks go, I have no clue.

I don't know. Our area definitely doesn't lack predators. It could be that I have been lucky so far. Another reason is that our coop is in the middle of our field probably discouraging predators from coming out in the open. At night, the chickens are kept locked up and safe. As far as the hawks go, I have no clue.

I meant how you achieve letting only some flock members out instead of the entire feathered flood. :D

Back
Top Bottom