Do you get chicken mites on you often?

No,chicken mites do not get on humans. But, mites will spread to other chickens. If they are young chickens it could kill them, mites on chickens could cause anemia,(blood loss), even though they don't feed on their blood.They actually feed on their dead skin cells,and can cause skin irritation.
sad.png

LOL- please come to my house and tell the mites that!
lol.png
I grant you that a human won't get a mite infestation from handling the chickens, but the mites absolutely can and do get on and bite. They are amazingly fast little buggers, too. When I was doctoring an injured hen(and I agree that a bird that is not doing well for whatever reason becomes a mite magnet) I had them running up my arms. I put vaseline between wrists and elbows, and they still tried to run up my arms although they obviously got stuck in the goo.
I thought cedar shavings were a no-no... reading this thread I see some people are using a small amount of them? If that is safe, it would be useful as a repellent, I would think, but I wouldn't want to use cedar if it would pose a problem for my birds. I intend to try a citrus-based product as well, probably the Orange Guard as Lowes apparently carries it. (I searched TSC for it, and got results for orange and black goggles, and an oriole feeder
smile.png
)
Using some kind of shaker container for DE is a wonderful idea and you can bet I will be doing that too!

well I'm i'm wondering the same thing? Because I am now battling mites! I know this because I caught on my face and took in to the doctor to see what it was. And how to deal with it? I have chickens and use diatomasceous soil in their coop and on the chickens as well! OMG the most creepy thing I've dealt with in a long time! I did pick one up about a week before when I took it out to a farm because it was a rooster. I thought I was losing my mind! It feels like a hair brushing against your skin. So I'd say ya they get on people! I guess I,ll go roll in some Diatomaceous Soil!
wee.gif

LOL- please come to my house and tell the mites that!
lol.png
I grant you that a human won't get a mite infestation from handling the chickens, but the mites absolutely can and do get on and bite. They are amazingly fast little buggers, too. When I was doctoring an injured hen(and I agree that a bird that is not doing well for whatever reason becomes a mite magnet) I had them running up my arms. I put vaseline between wrists and elbows, and they still tried to run up my arms although they obviously got stuck in the goo.
I thought cedar shavings were a no-no... reading this thread I see some people are using a small amount of them? If that is safe, it would be useful as a repellent, I would think, but I wouldn't want to use cedar if it would pose a problem for my birds. I intend to try a citrus-based product as well, probably the Orange Guard as Lowes apparently carries it. (I searched TSC for it, and got results for orange and black goggles, and an oriole feeder
smile.png
)
Using some kind of shaker container for DE is a wonderful idea and you can bet I will be doing that too!
I'm with you - was caring for a sick hen who then got an outbreak.
The mites are driving me BONKERS. The mites are a horror story!
Cool tip about the Vaseline! I personally use DEET on my hands and legs and neck.

well I'm i'm wondering the same thing? Because I am now battling mites! I know this because I caught on my face and took in to the doctor to see what it was. And how to deal with it? I have chickens and use diatomasceous soil in their coop and on the chickens as well! OMG the most creepy thing I've dealt with in a long time! I did pick one up about a week before when I took it out to a farm because it was a rooster. I thought I was losing my mind! It feels like a hair brushing against your skin. So I'd say ya they get on people! I guess I,ll go roll in some Diatomaceous Soil!
wee.gif
Yes it is so creepy. Same thing happened to me. I caught one and took it to doc in the box...and they freaked out. OMG every summer I relive the nightmare. They have prescription ointment to treat this. Thank God. They also have spray for clothing I use. now I know I keep it under control. But that first year
1621356543466.png

For the past couple of days, I've been itching and my daughter has picked some chicken mites off me. About two months ago we had a rooster who had a pretty bad mite infestation and at the vet's recommendation, dusted him w/ 5% Sevin (I'm not a fan of Sevin but it sure did the trick).
Should I have our two coops on a regular dusting schedule? Or, do you poultry people just pick off your mites and forget it? Thanks!
Bells
I know this is an old post, I use both DE and 7 dust on my chickens, I sprinkle the 7 dust in the dust bathing areas every once in a while and the DE when its dry outside, DE will not work if it gets wet

Even though this is an older thread, I'll respond. I never had any luck with DE. I know some people swear by it but it hasn't worked for me. What has worked well is permethrin. It is also used as a spray to spray on clothing as a repellent though I have never bought any for clothing but I do buy it for use in my coops and on the birds when needed. Sevin isn't approved anymore for use on animals. Poultry dust usually has permethrin in it. It works. It doesn't kill the pests eggs so repeat weekly treatment for 3 or 4 weeks is necessary as the pests eggs hatch out. These are the products I have used with great success. Good luck to all who have had issues with mites and lice and other pests (flies).

Attachments

• GordonPoultryDust - Copy.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust - Copy.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
  • permethrin spray - Copy.jpg
    permethrin spray - Copy.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 0
  • permethrinDust - Copy (2).jpg
    permethrinDust - Copy (2).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
Even though this is an older thread, I'll respond. I never had any luck with DE. I know some people swear by it but it hasn't worked for me. What has worked well is permethrin. It is also used as a spray to spray on clothing as a repellent though I have never bought any for clothing but I do buy it for use in my coops and on the birds when needed. Sevin isn't approved anymore for use on animals. Poultry dust usually has permethrin in it. It works. It doesn't kill the pests eggs so repeat weekly treatment for 3 or 4 weeks is necessary as the pests eggs hatch out. These are the products I have used with great success. Good luck to all who have had issues with mites and lice and other pests (flies).
Great info, thank you! Bookmarked!

Back
Top Bottom