Do you get chicken mites on you often?

Ivermectin 1% injectable 2 drops down the throat for bantams and 3-4 drops for large fowl takes care of mites and most worms. I also will put frontline for dogs 2 drops around the vent. Both are effective for me.
Larrydawg

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/resource000811_rep844.pdf

Includes dosing info.

Alternating between "mectins" & "zoles" when worming is absolutely necessary, i.e., wt. loss, egg production dropping, lethargy, loss of appetite & ID'ed parasite, has been shown to be effective in limiting creation of resistant lines. Alway have a fecal exam performed to ID the specific target.

Topical application of Ivermectin/Eprinomectin is effective against many ectoparasites,.

I do not get neither my chicken, any mite on myself,however I have two of my hen that have scale on their feets,I have put vaseline on them ,I really like to know what to do cause they are good layer.If any one could help I would be so greatful.

It could be leg mites or it could be a fungal thing. If fungal, an antifungal will be needed. If leg mites, it may be that a paste of sevin dust (10%) would kill them. Not sure about that though. There are lots of people on this forum who will have a better answer on this.

We use black walnut tincture to keep our dogs wormed. Would do that in an eyedropper for chooks, probably 4 to 6 drops. We aren't aware of any parasite infestation in our flock, ever.
idunno.gif
But ours are in a very large fenced run with netting overhead so they never mix with wild birds, and no one but the two of us ever goes into their run or coop.
old.gif

I have a severly injured hen with a gaping wound that has also affected one leg's function....she's in my house and due to her inability to move around and dust bath and preen (just started preening in last 3-4 days) the mites have arrived. I looked her over when I first brought her in after the dog attack and when I started caring for her - then I had a few "bites" on my arms - then more - then I started really looking for the cause. I never saw any on me but saw two small black creepy crawlies tonight.

Any advice as to how to treat her - and me, etc. appreciated. My concern with her is the open wound. I have another thread about the wound itself - but now the mites....or whatever the black itty bitty almost invisible critters are.

Thanks!

No,chicken mites do not get on humans. But, mites will spread to other chickens. If they are young chickens it could kill them, mites on chickens could cause anemia,(blood loss), even though they don't feed on their blood.They actually feed on their dead skin cells,and can cause skin irritation.
sad.png

Very good thread although I must admit I haven't read all 109 comments. Two questions, does the use of this food grade DE or 5% Sevin cause any risk in egg consumption? Also, I'm trying to identify if our flock is suffering from mites or lice. They began losing feathers around the base of the tail feathers and then around by their bottoms. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom