Do you give your chicks supplements?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaLoomis, Feb 10, 2009.

1. LaLoomis

LaLoomis Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm trying to get everything ready for my chicks which will arrive in a couple weeks. I can't decide if I should give them supplements right off the bat.

Damerow's "Chicken Health Handbook' recommends vitamins for the first three weeks but McMurry's Quick Chick also comes with electrolytes and I read some BYC posts that said you should only give electrolytes if there is a problem.

Should I wait to see how they're doing before I give them anything?

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I've been giving all of my flock a vitamin/mineral/electrolyte supplement this winter, from day old chicks all the way up to my laying girls. I just think they need the extra vitamins/minerals since they can't get outside to free range.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I keep my new chicks on vitamins and electrolytes for the first few weeks and have never had any problems

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Yup, sure do. The breeds I'm getting need all of the good organic supplements they can get.

5. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    What type of electrolites do you guys use?

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I use terramycin desolved in the new chicks water to start them off, then I just feed with chick starter which also has vitamens added.

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'm giving my chicks plain ole fruit juice -- a 100% juice blend of cranberry, blueberry, grape, and apple -- usually with water added. Lots of vitamins and antioxidants in a form that seems more natural to me. If they had the chance they'd eat the fruit, so this just makes it easier on their young, grit-less crops. I also add additional fish meal to their feed to increase the protein and the DHA they need for healthy cell development.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with shelleyb1969, I think it's a matter of personal preference too. I feed my chicks Starter/Grower feed initially. It has all the nutrients the chicks need.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I used good ol' fresh water, but had vitamins and electrolytes on hand in case of a weak chick.
    The only time I use electrolytes now is during extremely hot weather.
    I would never give antibiotics unless I had a confirmed illness. Indiscrimate use of antibiotics can render them ineffective if and when they are needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by