• Neighbor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Friend

• I do it my self

• Total voters
Quote:
This actually isn't true. Many studies have shown that doing a puppy series alone provides 1-3 years of immunity, on average. Doing a puppy series, followed by a year old booster provides 3-5 years of immunity in normal healthy dogs. I titer my dogs immunity levels and have found the same thing in them. Recommendations for vaccine frequency is based on something like 90% of the vaccinated population is still immune, the same it is in humans. So for example with the 3 year dog vaccines, at the 3 year mark 90% of dogs still have adequate immunity, 4 years its something like 75%, 5 years is below 50%... and so on. That's why I titer my dogs, I don't want to over vaccinate OR under vaccinate.

Quote:
This actually isn't true. Many studies have shown that doing a puppy series alone provides 1-3 years of immunity, on average. Doing a puppy series, followed by a year old booster provides 3-5 years of immunity in normal healthy dogs. I titer my dogs immunity levels and have found the same thing in them. Recommendations for vaccine frequency is based on something like 90% of the vaccinated population is still immune, the same it is in humans. So for example with the 3 year dog vaccines, at the 3 year mark 90% of dogs still have adequate immunity, 4 years its something like 75%, 5 years is below 50%... and so on. That's why I titer my dogs, I don't want to over vaccinate OR under vaccinate.

I spoke with our veterinarian recently about this...it's very interesting to me. I'm definitely in the camp that says yearly shots are bogus, yet puppy shots aren't "good enough". She told me that the immunity to parvo sticks with them for a very long time, but the immunity to distemper doesn't stay with them for nearly as long. We don't do the titers, but they get their distemper/parvo series vaccine right along with their rabies every three years or so.

Quote:
Ah, maybe I got my dogs backwards. The titer came back low on one, and fine on the other, and I forgot which was which...but I did the combo shot anyway, so it didn't matter.

Once every 3 years seems fine. While its more than they probably need, it guarantees protection, and dogs have such short lives anyway that it most likely doesn't make a major difference. I started titering my one dog because she has a lot of allergies, and I didn't want to vaccinate more than needed. I then was able to titer them both again for free, so I did that. My younger dog stays more current because he's a therapy dog and required to be current.

First off i have to say i am loving the replys to this posting as i feel over vaccination is a bad thing and am so glad that i'm part of an online community that is so knowledgable. I had never heard of titering until last night reading this post. How much does it cost on average to get a distemper titer done?

In response to those who do/do not euthanize a dog at home...I have a very good working relationship with my vet...he comes to my home when it is time for a dog to be euthanized...we just let our 13 year old Doberman go...he came here...to load her, take her to the clinic, load her remains back into the truck and bring her home...too much for her and me...she was home, in her comfort zone, no fear or anxiety that a trip to the office would have elicited...

several years ago I had to euthanize one of my old red girls...took her to the clinic where she always hated to go and she was scared and just in a state being in multi system failure and all of that...we had to carry her into the office which caused her more pain and anxiety...Doc gave her the juice and she melted away...he carried her back to the pick up and laid her on her blanket in the back...I was standing there looking at my beloved dead dog and a group of people walk by, looked into the truck bed and asked me, "Whats wrong with your dog?" Well gee, she was dead...stab me in the heart...I swore we would never do that again and we have not...

In my experience in a life time with dogs is that it is easier on them to have the vet come to the home and euthanize them when the time comes...my two cents from lots of time with dogs...

I have spent my life with animals...I do a lot for them myself medically but am able to ascertain when I am in over my head and a trip to the clinic is in order, or a house call...

Quote:
I completely agree, PC and Tipsy. We haven't had our dog and cats in for vaccs in 2 years; at first it was because of funds and then I started researching (the vet bill for a checkup and full shots was $200 for one animal, sheesh.) I just want to get the rabies for the time being, since it's state law. I really wish there was a legal way to give that one myself.
I'm also going to do as much as I can to have our pets be able to pass away at home. Seriously, what animal likes going to the vet? And then that stressful trip being their last time on earth? No.
(Our boy is such a drama-king at the vet, acts like he's being drawn and quartered
roll.png
)

Last edited:
We had our beloved Charlie Girl put down in June, as many of you know.
We took her to the vet's office to have it done. Charlie loved to go bye-bye.
The vet gave us the choice of bringing her into the office or her coming out to our vehicle to do it. We had parked the jeep under a nice shady tree in a little park area that Charlie had enjoyed many times before.
We chose to take Charlie inside. She got to say goodbye to the many friends she had made at the vet's office, including the office cat. She passed surrounded by those who loved her, us and the vet and the vet's daughter (her vet tech).
That's the decision we made, knowing Charlie. You have to make the decision based on the animal that only you can know.

Back
Top Bottom