• Total voters

gaited horse

Merry Christmas!
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Fernley, NV
Can you give your dog there own shots?
Why do you use one over the other?
Because the rabis must be done by a vet in most states jsut click I do it myself.

Last edited:
I can and have given my animals their shots, but I chose to let the vet do it now. Taking them in to get their shots is a good excuse for her to have her hands on them, to catch things we might miss and for the animals to get used to being handled by the vet.
My vet is very inexpensive, so it's not a hardship for us.

I was going to do it myself on our pup but he had a mild case of mange and had to go to the vet for that anyhow. So I just had the vet take care of it all.

We've always had the vet do shots, but I want to start giving them myself (vet visits aren't cheap.) The only prob is the rabies vac must be given by a vet; its a state law. Why is that? What's the difference as long as they get it?

Quote:
I don't know why I know in some states it is tho. So I might take a little road trip give the shot and then come home.

Quote:
Check with your vet and see if they will do a 'car call'. My vet allows us to bring the animals to the clinic, we go in and do the paperwork and pay the bill and a tech comes out and gives the vacs in the truck. Saves an office visit fee.
smile.png

I can only assume it's because a licensed veterinarian has more to lose if they lie on a piece of paper than you or I do. By having him sign the health papers proving the rabies vaccine, the state can rest assured that the dog does not have rabies if the dog should happen to bite someone.

But, I do give shots to my dogs.

Ask your local humane society about rabies clinics. They are offered twice a year here. You bring your pets to a advertised location, usually the volunteer fire dept, and get the rabies shots for $5 per animal.

Back
Top Bottom