Do you grind or mill whole corn for feed?

Clay in MS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Mendenhall, MS
I was thinking about buying whole rather than chopped corn to save a few bucks. Deer corn is about $3 cheaper around here. What kind of grinder or mill would you suggest?

I actually grind wheat for my birds. I set my grinder for a medium grind that gives me a blend of cracked wheat and whole wheat flour that I mix with boiling water and a little corn meal and stir every couple minutes for about 10 minutes. It should be wet and soft when done. I then add whatever I have laying around into the mix. I add applesauce, bananas, raisins, yogurt or whatever else I can find. It's also a good way to feed back crushed egg shell or cooked eggs..
This is the grinder that I use. I can grind a pound of whole wheat or whole corn into flour in a few minutes and highly recommend it for the great price and nice construction.
I feed my hens scratch as a treat in the morning and it has lots of cracked corn in it but the above formula should work with corn as well...

Why do you crack wheat?? Chickens love it whole. Just curious. They can eat whole corn right off the cob also.

I actually grind wheat for my birds. I set my grinder for a medium grind that gives me a blend of cracked wheat and whole wheat flour that I mix with boiling water and a little corn meal and stir every couple minutes for about 10 minutes. It should be wet and soft when done. I then add whatever I have laying around into the mix. I add applesauce, bananas, raisins, yogurt or whatever else I can find. It's also a good way to feed back crushed egg shell or cooked eggs..
This is the grinder that I use. I can grind a pound of whole wheat or whole corn into flour in a few minutes and highly recommend it for the great price and nice construction.
I feed my hens scratch as a treat in the morning and it has lots of cracked corn in it but the above formula should work with corn as well...

Why do you crack wheat?? Chickens love it whole. Just curious. They can eat whole corn right off the cob also.

I'm just being a nice guy... I do it that way so that it can be fed to them warm when it's cold outside and I can add stuff they like to it.. It takes a very little time for the ground wheat to soak up the hot water and get to the same consistency as warm oatmeal. They seem to enjoy it very much and I would think that it would be easy for them to digest..

Last edited:
My birds have pellets always available. And they free range. The pickings are slim right now, so I throw them whole oats and whole corn. Whole corn is less expensive than cracked corn. When they are small, I start with cracked corn, and then switch to whole corn. They have a gizzard to do the work. ANd when they are full it's cute to see the line up of perched birds preening and resting full of yummy food. IN this cold weather, I need to buy some BOSS to increase the fat level. I don't have time to make hot meals but I do know that one spoiled hen loves the oatmeal my son makes everyday. He makes enough for both of them.
wink.png

I buy whole corn in bulk as I finish out my pigs on it. I use an old bur mill with a hand crank to grind my corn into scratch for my chickens. I set it back to where it just cracks and flakes the corn.
I will try to get a picture posted in the AM

Back
Top Bottom