Do you hatch for other people?

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Do you hatch other peoples' eggs for them? How does that work?

I would just love to hatch more babies, but until my big coop is done, I'm about out of room to keep any more myself.

I was wondering if I could post a "hatching service" note at our local TSC and feed store.
I could either hatch their eggs or order from other sources--of course telling of the hazards, etc.

Would you require a deposit? Then when the chicks hatch, pay a certain amount per live chick?

I'm so curious to how this would work!

If you have any experience with this, please let me know!

BTW--I'm not really looking to make money--just wanting to feed the addiction!
ya.gif

Becky

I only hatched some for a frend. She wanted to pay me but I just wanted to do it. I found out she had been saving the eggs for 3 weeks but out of 30 eggs she still had 16 babies.
jumpy.gif

Maybe you could charge something like $1.00 per egg. If they give you 30 eggs then it's $30.00.

I hope someone gives you more idea's.

Thats a good question.

I would like to know also.

Thanks, Gin--
Just looking for ways to "feed this addiction!" I can't believe how much I miss checking on the bator!

They say it takes 21 days to break an addiction--I'd say this proves it--21 days for a new addiction for me!
big_smile.png

I'm hoping someone else comes along with some tips!

I just put together a nice big incubator and was thinking of the same thing. I was thinking a 1.00 per live egg but no less than 80 cents if they brought me bad eggs. Or let them bring 15 per dozen and I would charge them 12 dollars whether they hatch 5 of 15.

Not sure how much hassle it would all be but have the capacity to hatch over 300 eggs every 21 days. I am nearly finished with my hatcher so could stagger hatches as well.

I think I am going to advertise on Craigslist here and a couple of feed stores.

I have and what I do is charge 10.00-15.00 per incubation...more than a dozen I charge 15.00...it's your electricity and your time to take care of all those eggs too. And at the same time I try to add a few I would want to hatch. Than I charge 3.00 per chick hatched if they are ones I supplied or 1.00 for ones they supplied. I make sure they are all eating and drinking when they leave. They must pick them up on day three. I have a lady coming every spring for hatching...you really can't beat that because of the amount they ask to purchase online. Most people don't want 25 chicks so they are happy to pay that.

ETA: They are also told there is no guarantee that any will hatch and NO refunds on the incubation cost.

Last edited:
I did that for one BYC member. I didn't charge him anything except so much per chick that hatched, but he was not a stranger to me and I trusted him not to back out on me. If it was a stranger, there would be an incubation fee plus more per chick that I charged him (Blue Orps we're talking about here).

I hatch for others, I have people knocking on my door all the time asking me to do a hatch for them. I use my egg laying flock so they will be mixed chicks. Feeds my hatching addiction and keeps hubby at bay saying where are you going to brood these?
big_smile.png

Becky, That's how people found out that I have chickens and will do hatches for them, through my local feedstore.

Last edited:
Yea! you guys are great! At first I thought it was a dumb idea, but I really need to hatch more! I like the idea of doing some for others and then putting in one or two eggies for me--hee hee.

I'm going to think this through and post a sign at our feed store. Maybe I'll get to do some more hatching!

I do have 2 bators now, so I could even do staggered hatches if necessary.
I need to figure out the advantages of raising chicks through the winter so I can market this idea!

Thanks for the wonderful tips--you all are truly the best enablers!
wink.png

Becky

I would definitely ask for a deposit, or flat rate fee. I sold some quail to someone, and when they started laying he asked if I would incubate and brood them for him in exchange for keeping half of the chicks. It's all fine and dandy, but now I don't want more chicks, and would prefer that he just buy me a bag of feed (@$25/50# sack!) to help feed the ones I'm brooding for him. Let's just say I'm weaning him off of the hatching process...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom