Do you hav to do lockdown and what exactly is it?

HammondRawlsHill

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Hey guys so I have read some posts that you shouldn't do lockdown but a lot of people still do lockdown so I just wanted to know what exactly is lockdown and what day do you do it?

Oh well I'm hatching chicken and peacock eggs, and only one peacock egg Is due this week, so do i have too, or is there ways around it? It seems critical but the other eggs are not as close to hatch day as the peafowl eggs. So I was just wondering.
I definitely would for the best outcome. You can always turn the others by hand for the short term.

I wish you best of luck but don't get your hopes up. Many people don't have good results on their first few hatches even doing everything by the book.

For now on I wouldn't mix breeds with different incubation periods. Also once incubation starts don't add more eggs.

thanks for all the help. we decided to get another incubator so we wouldn’t have to go through all this trouble again. plus i’ll be at school all day so turning them myself wouldn’t be an option. thanks for y’all’s help!

What are you hatching? Lockdown is simply not turning the eggs and increasing humidity before hatch. Usually two or three days before hatch day. You don’t want the eggs turning while the chicks are trying to hatch and increased humidity will help keep the inner membrane from drying out and shrink wrapping the chick, which can keep it from hatching and result in death.

Oh well I'm hatching chicken and peacock eggs, and only one peacock egg Is due this week, so do i have too, or is there ways around it? It seems critical but the other eggs are not as close to hatch day as the peafowl eggs. So I was just wondering.

Lockdown is just the term we use. A momma bird will quit rotating her eggs when she hears the babies peeping in the shell. It's a natural process.

Yes not rotating effects them all, why you shouldn't mix hatch dates in an incubator. I wouldn't even have mixed chickens and peafowl. The incubation periods are different.

Yes, I would turn the ones that are not about to hatch by hand and keep the humidity high. I think all your eggs will have some problems hatching though.

If you can afford it, you could get a small incubator to use as a hatcher and make this go more smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom