do you have a chicken tractor?

Here are my two tractors. My suggestion would be to use light materials. The first coop is super heavy and very difficult to move. The second coop weighs less, but it is still pretty difficult to move. I would recommend using 2x2s or 2x3s rather than 2x4s. Also, shingles add a lot of weight. A tin roof would make transportation a lot easier.

20121216_171304-1.jpg

I have nine, seven of them based on the pattern you see in the photo here. Not the usual for tractor as these will hold a dozen or more birds.

My suggestions are theses:

Watch the weight. Heavy tractors are no fun to move and will likely not get moved as often as they should.

Mind the predator protection. Apron wire around the outside bottom can help A LOT.

Wheels, if you can manage them, are a good thing.

Mind the weather resistance. The birds inside will need protection from sun and rain, but not so well protected as to interfere with good airflow.

For covers I use tarps. Have to replace them two-three times a year here in Florida, but they serve the purpose well.

I just bought some used billboard vinyls for dirt cheap and want to build a couple tractors. I dont really have any level terrain so I'm searching for a solution. It wouldn't be worth it to add an exterior skirt and have to move a bunch of heavy rocks on and off of it. I know there's an easier way so if anyone has one I'd love to hear it

No need to put rocks on the apron wire unless your ground is very rough and uneven. Just attach them so that they lay flat on the ground, at least eighteen inches wide, and that should be enough.

Mine is based on a 4M by 2M Poly tunnel frame
it has a 2M x 1.5M coop and the entire back folds down for cleaning pus I have made doors for more frequent acces
The coops summer floor is 30mm welded mesh

The wheels are at the centre of gravity, I can move it on my own easily.
I have quite rough ground so I now intend to fit some larger wheels but that is about it.

Shown here with some test Chickens and a Goose!
it is actually for introducing new birds and young chicks to the flock within our field
We have just hatched some Splash Orpingtons and have just set 44 more eggs including those shown below in two Incubators.

The wheels are simply mounted on underneath the bits of 4x2 and the bolt you can see is the pivot point the rest of the wood is just to provided leverage when lifting
The wheels come from the front of an old snapper ride on mower I just chopped up the original work and bolted it to some 4x2.

We lift both sides and the entire tractor lifts off the ground by about 6" I latch the levers at an angel over the piece of wood shown above.
I have two offcuts of scaffold pipe screwed at the front and we stick bits of broom handles in those to move it about like a large two person wheel barrow

Back
Top Bottom