Do you have a dog that hangs out with your chickens?

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Do you have a dog that is good with your chickens and kids???? Trying to figure out what kind of dog to get and being good with livestock and people is very important to me.
big_smile.png

I have a great Family/Kids/Livestock/Chickens. Rhodesian Ridgebacks

102768_reddyboy.jpg
RIP My sweet Reddy Boy We Miss and Love you

Rhodesian Ridgeback

A large and muscular dog, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was not only developed as hunter but also as a family protector. The breed can be light wheaten to red wheaten and are sleek and glossy in appearance. Originally bred to hunt lions the breed is also known as the African Lion Hound.

A Look Back
A native of South Africa, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred by the Boer farmers to fill their specific need for a serviceable hunting dog in the wilds. In 1877 Reverend Helm introduced two Ridgebacks into Rhodesia where big game hunters found them outstanding in the sport of hunting lions on horseback. They raised and bred these dogs with an appreciation for their exceptional hunting qualities, the ridge on their back becoming a unique trademark. In 1950 outstanding specimens were imported to the United States and the breed was admitted to registration by the AKC in 1955.
Right Breed for You?
Due to their short coats Ridgebacks shed very little and require only weekly brushing and occasional baths. The breed is also athletic, requiring regular exercise. Trustworthy with children, they are "people" dogs and like to be where you are, possibly curled up on the couch if permitted.

If you are considering purchasing a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy, learn more here.

* Hound Group; AKC recognized in 1955.
* Ranging in size from 24 to 27 inches tall at the shoulder and 70 to 85 pounds.
* Lion hunter; guard dog.

i have great pyreenes the big white ones male about 120 female 90....they are livestock guardian dogs mainly sheep and goats..but will protect any stock you have including chickens ...we raised a group of cornish-x broilers and a friend was over helping he went out to get a couple of chickens from the pen and my male wouldnt let him with out me going and letting the dog know it was alright....also they watch my grandkids from 10 months to 6 yrs like a hawk...on the downside the puppies need supervision to be with chickens ..usually till they are 18 months old they are big and eat a lot they have long hair and shed but mine never go in the house ..they do get hot in summer but i really think their coat insulates them in summer too..i sure sleep a lot better with them watching the flock as they are pretty much nocturnal they stay up most of the night and patrol the fences..

We have a 1 year old female Golden Retriever who was bottled raised when her mother passed away giving birth to the litter. She is AWESOME with my kids an my 3 an 1 year old crawl all over her. she lets my 3 year old stick his fingers in her mouth an "look at her teeth" (no matter how many times he gets told not to), he pulls on her legs an he flops on her, basically doing anything he can to irritate her an she just takes it all! She is awesome with the chickens an actually herds them away from places they shouldnt be or when its time for them to go back into the coop an their not, she knows it an herds them into the coop! she has never bitten a bird! when they were chicks, she ALWAYS stuck her nose in the tote an licked the chicks! she even didnt touch my 3 week old Button Quail chick when she decided she was too cool for the tote an flew out!

255095_130773353669353_100002100667846_242434_4384876_n.jpg

I have a complete mutt, best dog I have ever been around and all my family and friends have tried to find one that is just like her. best dog ever with kids, cats and chickens

We have a German Shepard Husky cross. He is a great dog, extremely obedient, and spends most of his time outdoors with the chickens. During the warmer months he sleeps outside to keep an eye out for raccoons. He is also great with people of any age. However, I would say the breed of the dog isn't what is important, it is the training.

all our dogs are kept with chickens, goats, sheep, geese, ducks, pigs and pigeons... They know what they're allowed/ not to do...

Last edited:
I have a "catahoula leopard" dog and he is great with my chickens,cats, kids etc..he even helps herd my chicks in their pen at night. And the chickens follow him everywhere! I don't know if I just got a sweet dog or they are all pretty tame with other animals..I drove all the way from Jersey to south carolina to get him from a resque and would drive to cali for another like him. If I ever figure out how to upload pics, I'll send you one:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom