Do you have a favorite childrens story...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mrsengeseth, Nov 8, 2008.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

that is chicken themed? We have one. We wondered if there were others. Our favorite one is Hedgie's Surprise by Jan Brett. Course, there's Little Red Hen, Chicken Little (both "Golden Books")...just wondered if you had any favorites and if there were many more than the ones I can think of.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Little Chick's Breakfast

See How They Grow: Chick

for middle school: Chicken Friend

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    This isnt about chickens but my children always loved "Goodnight Moon".[​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    This also isn't chicken themed, but read the Velveteen Rabbit. Then read The Velveteen Principles - A Guide to Becoming Real by Toni-Raiten D'Antonio.
    It makes so much sense.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Miss Twiggley's Tree

It's about seeing the good in people. The illustrations are amazing. I think there are chickens in there somewhere. It has bears in hats and a dog floating in an umbrella. I'll have to go find it and see. [​IMG]

6. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

We loved the "Carl" books... "Good Dog Carl", Carl's Christmas", etc... Also, "The Runaway Bunny", as well as "Goodnight Moon" and "The Wheels on the Bus" 3 d. edition.

7. The Farmers Wife

The Farmers Wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Arkansas
    The tale of three trees~

awesome~

8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have a story about children.

When my nephews were little like 2 and 3 yr. old their daddy was a cop.

He worked the third shift and my sister worked mornings. So they had to play with their toys for a little while in mommy and daddys bedroom while he got a few winks.

One morning while he was falling asleep he had to pass some gas and it was rather loud.

My nephews responded by saying " God Bless You Daddy"!!!

9. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    The Chicken Sisters By Laura Numeroff. My sister gave it to me for Christmas. I enjoy it very much![​IMG] Recommend for children of all ages!

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Since beginning to keep chickens we've been especially interested in children's stories that feature them. Some of our very favorite are the Minerva Louise series, by Janet Stoeke. The drawings, though simple, show wonderfully accurate portrayals of authentic chicken behavior & movement. These books are for young readers, with just a sentence of text per page, but my older chicken-owning children enjoy them just as much, for themselves and to read aloud to younger siblings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by