Do you have a first aid kit?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3littlechickies, Aug 1, 2013.

1. 3littlechickies

3littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    Castro Valley, CA
    My chicks are not outside yet and I can't decide if I should make a first aid kit. Do you have one? Do you think I should make one? I go back and forth. I think I should cause who know what will happen then I think what could really happen. If you have one what is in it? Do you think I should have stuff in in it in case of prolapse or egg bound? Have any of you had to deal with that? What did you use? How common are they? I think prolapse is the thing that scares me the most! Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't really have a kit; I just keep a few supplies at hand. Like antibiotics, Corid, antibiotic ointment, blue-kote (in case of picking), styptic powder (in case of bleeding), and recently (since I got my first prolapse experience), honey and witch hazel. I probably should have a better, more prepared kit, but I'm just learning as I go. I can find most supplies locally, so having them on hand isn't that necessary.

And yes, prolapse can be somewhat scary. Its so frustrating to push it back in again, only to have it come back out. And during the whole time its prolapsed, a white paste constantly secretes from the vent, which makes the bird dirty and smelly. Fortunately, most prolapses go in on their own when given time to recede, as long as they are kept clean and undamaged.

I wish you luck with your birds! They're so enjoyable, but it is a learning experience. Even after raising chickens for three years, I'm still confronted with new problems several times a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by