DO YOU HAVE A HEN WHOSE ABDOMEN FEELS LIKE A FULL WATER BALLOON? READ THIS!!!

I have juveniles that are all under 5 but the one that is sick is a 2 year old. She is a Red Star. Been very active. Even if she is not laying I keep them as pets. Its really not the eggs. The eggs to us are only added benefits of the girls. They are family like any other pet of ours. I was very pleased to find this post to guide me in helping her and hopefully getting her well once again. Does anyone think she will lay again or does this effect future productivity for her egg production and with that being said do we do anything different now for her. I hope it does not come back what a PITA!!!
Steve

Once she's had the fluid drained you should try putting on a glove w/lube and do a cloacal exam to check for abnormalities. What color was the fluid?

-Kathy

Once she's had the fluid drained you should try putting on a glove w/lube and do a cloacal exam to check for abnormalities. What color was the fluid?

-Kathy
Pee yellow. I cleaned her with warm water and used some petroleum jelly and did do a soft search for anything like cracked egg shell or yoke or poop for that matter anything that to me was not normal. At this point I do not have a clue other than I extracted 400 ML from her until she was comfortable and then I gave her food which she accepted and she is drinking the vitamin water for birds I have and she is active and on the move. I will continue to drain and inspect through the week and as needed.

So is this when the butt area down below vent is swollen??
My Australorp has this I believe, if so how far from the vent do i insert the syringe?? afraid on doin it in the right spot...and do you put antibotic cream, tea tree oil, collidal silver or what on it after wards??

Then do you give her anything to help heal her liver? Milk thistle is all I read....for life time or what?

Then i read feed her chicken, animal meat is this true ??? and it will help her needs??

I have gave her garlic last couple of days to help her and milk thistle, olive oil oil on bread....don't know if bread is good for her though?? And added apple cider vinegar to her water and for whole flock....

she is 1 1/2 years old...thanks for your help!!

Thanks,
Ta

I went to Walgreens to the pharmacy department. Told the person I need a large gauge needles 10/1 ounce syringe it big like thumb size. Cover your girl with a hand towel its easier with another person. Turn the bird on its back and anywhere 2" from the vent so you do not pierce it. When done do it again same needle the other side. A lot of fluid will come out and very yellow like urine is. THROW THAT NEEDLE AWAY!! its infected or boil it to use again. Good luck my girl died 6 weeks after even with all the help and meds.
Steve

Back
Top Bottom