Do you have a light in your coop? Why or why not?

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
We have 4 BOs and 2 Light Brahmas, and both breeds are supposed to lay eggs all winter long without the need of an extra light. Also, it never gets below like 10 degrees here (and that would be a very unusually cold snap). Is a light still a good idea for some reason?

Its good to have a light in case you have a reason to be out in your coop in the middle of the night, for whatever reason that may be. You may have a predator out there and need good visualization, etc.

Sometimes I just go out there and turn on the light just to see the gals and see who is roosting where. Nosey, I guess.

We originally put a light in the coop on a timer when we first moved them in. I think my husband timed it to extend their light hours, as it was approaching winter. But i wanted it so that they would more easily go in the coop at night.

Now, they probably don't need it, but i like it anyway.

We have a shed/coop combo we put in a light just incase I need to out there after dark or even when its still alittle bit light out, which ive used the light quite a bit, my younger ones like to stay out in the run till its almost dark now that its spring/summer, so in comes in handy when I go shut things up and go inside to check on everyone.

Hi acissej,

I'm in Renton.
When I first got chickens I had a old chicken farmer tell me that it was better to either have light 24/7 or no extra light. That having it go on & off was bad for the chickens. I have no idea why or if there is any validity to this. I was planning on light for the winter and at night, so I went with light 24/7. So I've had a light on for the past 7 or so years with out any detrimental effects.
I joined BYC a couple years ago, and discovered that there were other ways, that some people are rather adamant about their beliefs around adding light. Figure out what works for you and go with it.

Imp- I saw you introduced yourself on the Washingtonians thread so
frow.gif

At the latitude of Duvall, WA: on December 21st,

sunset will be at 4:18 p.m.
sunrise at 7:54 a.m.

Your chickens will experience over 15 1/2 hours of nighttime darkness.

If your horizon is not level, the hours of darkness will be longer.

To think of it in another way, your chickens will have about 8 hours of sunlight during the coldest weeks of the year.

I live just a fraction of a degree farther north than you do. I have a light in the coop.

Steve

Last edited:
I have a people light...for me. I just came in from the coop (it's dusk here right now), and was fiddling around with the fan out there, so I was pretty happy to have a light to work by. I also have a very small nightlight. That one is more for the birds...for a predator deterrent. I also have a motion sensor light aimed into their run, another predator deterrent, plus a way for me to see if I had to go into the run at night time. None of my lights are to extend egg laying through the winter...lol.

No light for us. I didn't want the extra expense for the stuff for the light or the electricity that it takes to run it.

I'm hopeful they will lay just fine without one. I would prefer they do their thing naturally.

This may change since this is our first year with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom