Do you have a "special" chicken?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pdxchristine, Jan 9, 2014.

1. pdxchristine

pdxchristine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Forest Grove, OR
    my easter egger isn't the smartest but she is the nicest one of the bunch. She will only lay eggs inside the bag/container where I keep the pine shavings. She chases birds in the backyard and likes to be petted. Anyone else have a chicken they think is special? What do they do?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What a cute story about your chicken!

My girls can't free range due to all the predators that hang around the bushes and skies. The door to the coop has a spring on it so it shuts behind me without me having to mess with it since I am always carrying something into the coop or run. One of my girls, a Black Australorp has learned that when I am in the coop or run and the wind is blowing, many times the door will blow open if I have not locked it behind me. So she will stand there and wait for the door to blow open. She has to be fast because not only is the door fairly heavy and doesn't blow open far, but she has to jump over the framing of the coop which is 4 2x4's stacked up. So he has to jump over the 2x4's and get out before the door slams on her, and it can slam hard! But every once in a while, I will be in the run and see the others pacing along the inside of the run looking at something outside. Out of the corner of my eye, I will see this black blob, and sure enough it is Tillie out there free ranging herself as the others look on in complete jealousy. She is the only one that has learned to do this. [​IMG]

3. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Cute story!

We have a very small flock-- 3 outdoor chickens and one house chicken. Each of them have very unique personalities, however, the one who stands out the most of our outdoor flock is Stella (she is also an EE). She loves to chase rabbits in our backyard! She also comes and "knocks" at our back door to come in for a piece of cheese. :)

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She sounds adorable! Chickens do some very cute things indeed! Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by