Do you have a WARE Premium + back yard hutch?

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Like this one:

I'm curious if you can close off the enclosed nesting area? I can't tell from this image and can't seem to find anything online that says so.

I realize this is a super small run. I need something to keep my baby chicks in and keep them separated from the big hens so my moody Jersey Giant can't kill them. Cuz I think she wants to. Man she's a grumpy bird.

I have a large predator protected run and can put this inside the run and under a roof so it will stay dry so I'm optimistic that it will work. But I'm wondering if I'm going to have to come up w/ something to close up the babies in the nest area at night.

I have one!! There is no way to close the nest area off from the run area which has pretty large openings. I have used this to transition larger chicks into the run with my older birds but wouldn't recommend it for a coop. It is tiny, even smaller than I thought it would be from the dimensions. :)

Thanks. I bought it for that exact purpose to transition 3 7-week old Buff Orpingtons in with the big girls. And I MAY use it as a jail for my big Jersey Giant if she doesn't integrate with them well. Which I'm suspecting will be the case. She's a grumpy, moody thing and already is not happy about their existence.

I was hoping to seal the babies into that nesting area at night for the first few nights to keep them a bit warmer and safe. I don't have a rodent problem but I do occasionally trap a rat so I know there are out there and I don't want one to get to one of my babies. So I was going to lock them in there for a few more weeks. Maybe I can put a piece of wood over it and slide a dowel through the bars as sort of a makeshift door.

I plan on putting this inside my predator protected run so I'm not worried about anything bigger than a rat getting in.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have one also. Could be good for your purposes, but it's not preditor safe. Any animal could get under it easily, there is no bottom to it. Only removeable flooring in the nest area. We stapled hardware cloth on the underside for that reason. Also, the outside door latch could be replaced with a better latch if you want. The wire is large, chicks can get right through it, or their heads can be pulled out.

We love it even with all the downfalls. It's lightweight, and a great temporary playpen for babies, or a timeout pen.I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

Thanks. I think it's going to work well for me. I plan on putting it inside my hens run. Which is Fort Knox. Welded wire nailed to the top and then covered w/ corrugated panels to keep them shaded and dry.

Welded wire is buried all the way around and under their run. Gate has a double latch that requires two thumbs to open. So once it's in the run, I think it's going to work great.

Now my issue is getting my Jersey Giant alpha hen to accept them.

Yes, Fort Knox, us too, lol. The only thing I would worry about in that case, is any cranky hen could peck at one of the babies through the wire. How many babies? Are they large fowl? Yes, you could put up a board & hold it in place to close off the nest area.

Back
Top Bottom