Do You Have An Opinion On Killing Predators?

This is not meant to provoke anyone or to be antagonistic. I used some of this material on a "reply" post earlier. I hope it is legal to post it again.

Many folks feel that predators have a right to kill their stock if they manage to get past their best attempts of repelling them. They give the predator the right to kill but, choose to make their stock always and only a victim! The chicken, duck or turkey can justifiably be killed but noooo, don't kill the killer. That stance is fine as long as their opinion affects only THEIR stock. Some use catch phrases like "live-and-let-live", "it's what predators do", or they say "they're part of the ecosystem". Well, botulism, e-coli and anthrax have been part of the ecosystem for many years also. But, I don't want them intruding into my life. Not being mean spirited but, when people use terminology like ecosystem or, live-and-let-live, we should remember that the survival-of-the-fittest doctrine is purely THE WAY of nature or, the ecosystem if you will. Only humans make the conscious choice to place ourselves or, our stock, in a LOWER position on the food chain. I believe in taking any legal means to prevent a killer from killing your stock.

Hardly anyone ever quotes some "humane" doctrine when referring to ants, rats or moles. We tend to take the "righteous route" when it comes to an animal as stately and beautiful as a hawk or, as cute-n-cuddly as a raccoon or fox. Once a person witnesses how absolutely horrible the death of a chicken is by fox, raccoon or by hawk, they usually overcome any sentimental feelings about these killers. These three literally tear their victims apart piece-by-piece while still alive. It takes a while for them to finally die, screaming the whole while. Neighbors show up at my house all the time looking for trapping or killing advice, with a new-found disdain for predators, after seeing their lovely chickens, littering the yard, killed just for the joy of killing. Many times with just the heads of only a couple eaten off. There is nothing exotic or mysterious about these killers. Your chickens deserve your very best efforts to be protected from them!

Relocating predators is wrong on many levels.

We keep chickens at a few rural locations. We hunt wild Russian boars very near to EVERY place we keep our chickens. Dozens of raccoons, possums and rabbits frequent the feeders we have for the hogs. We do not shoot or in any way harm these animals. I only kill those predators that come into our poultry-keeping areas.

Hawks are a serious problem where we live! I do not harm hawks because it is a FEDERAL violation to do so. If it were not, I'd kill them also. We made some small NETTING pavilion-like shelters, open on all 4 sides, about 24-inches off the ground, for my chickens to run under when under aerial attack. I pull palm fronds into strips and weave it through the webbing to hide the chickens from view and to give the chickens a sense of being concealed. I stake them down ridiculously strong because of their kite-like design. At the first alarm call from the rooster, the others make a beeline for the shelters! My wife wants to plant some small shrubs/vegetable greens around the shelters to help soften the effect. The shrubs should also help keep the hawks from walking into the shelters on foot.

It is quiet legal to harrass hawks and other fed birds it works fairly well if done for just a little while there have been recent advancments in the way they are Harassed and it is working really well :)

If you kill a predator another one will just take his place... Its not worth it unless its a frequent visitor

I would rather have the priviledge of seeing a predator in its natural environment (even if that means my back garden) than at a zoo. You probably wonder what's the relevance here, but look at the pattern humans have for killing animals. Everyone feels so righteous in their actions, they inevitably end up eradicating an entire species. Sometimes, some get held onto the brink of extinction, but we all know where they're headed. I can't help but worry about the future of some of these beautiful animals. I am somewhat relieved to see I'm not the only one who cares about more than my own possessions.

I made a choice to keep birds and inherrant to that was the choice to protect them. I use defense as my protection.

I would, however, have no qualms whatsoever about shooting a person with bad intentions on my land. It's just a shame (lucky for them) the law doesn't allow me to.

Exactly. I have a Birds of Prey Conservation area located not too far from my home. The history humans have for eradicating other living creatures is ridiculous, and this does not only apply to animals.......( humans have a history of destroying each other as well)

If you kill a predator another one will just take his place... Its not worth it unless its a frequent visitor
Not always. When we have killed coons, skunks or possums, we don't have anymore for awhile. Who's to say that if I didn't kill that predator that another stronger, smarter one wouldn't come in anyway and chase of my "resident" critter? If it's threatening my birds, it will die.

For those who have posted hinting of non-descrimanatory predator eradication (federally protected creatures)...

I once was told by a old timer that while squirrel hunting during the summer (out of season of course), a game warden approached him and said "Mr. 'X', you know I am going to have to write you a citation for killing those squirrels out of season"... The old man replied, "Those are my squirrels, on my land, sure I can. The warden replied, "No those are the state's squirrels, they are protected by law this time of year".

The old man said, "I tell you what I'm gonna do...I am gonna give the state two weeks to get THIER squirrels off of MY property, then I am gonna kill all of my squirrels that are left...

Do what you got to do...rock on.

...but its capacity for suffering and enjoyment

...."health and well-being"...

And how about the chickens capacity for suffering and enjoyment? Mine, are easily recognized as much happier if they are allowed to free range and not be locked up in a cage all day. While keeping them locked up might not be suffering, it certainly lessens their ability to enjoy life. We keep them locked up as tight as anyone could keep them at night. But during the day, they are let out to free range. They are healthier and happier for it.

So I will put the enjoyment, health, and happiness of my chickens above anything that wants to kill them. I really don't care how anyone else decides to manage their flock, but this is how I do it, and it won't change.

And how about the chickens capacity for suffering and enjoyment? Mine, are easily recognized as much happier if they are allowed to free range and not be locked up in a cage all day. While keeping them locked up might not be suffering, it certainly lessens their ability to enjoy life. We keep them locked up as tight as anyone could keep them at night. But during the day, they are let out to free range. They are healthier and happier for it.

So I will put the enjoyment, health, and happiness of my chickens above anything that wants to kill them. I really don't care how anyone else decides to manage their flock, but this is how I do it, and it won't change.
Important point about quality of life for chickens. But I guess I don't see it as a black and white issue: The options are not limited to small cage vs. complete free ranging. I typically keep a flock size of 10-20 chickens and they are fenced in to a 1/3 acre yard. In the shade of 4 fruit trees and 6 shrubs, they have 6 compost bins full of yard/garden/kitchen waste to forage through, and plenty of dust baths of their own making.

The shrubs, trees, and compost bins are in the middle of that fenced in yard, providing plenty of cover. Inside and outside the perimeter of the fence there is no vegetation but grass, so terrestrial predators can be seen long before they get in. That exposure alone, has been enough to keep them away. There is some risk to aerial predation, but with such good cover, we've not lost any since we've had this set-up (for the past 4-5 years). We've also adjusted our schedule so that one of us is working outside off and on while the chickens free range (which is most of the day). We've found that intermittent human activity is a great predator deterrent.

That is what I meant by changing our management and set-up, in response to past predator attacks. Is this as good as "free range" from the chicken's perspective? Probably not quite, but it's hardly a "cage", and I think if they could fully comprehend the risks of complete free ranging, they would appreciate the middle ground we have taken. And I'm pretty sure the local wildlife appreciate it more than guns, traps, and poisons.

In our first year of 'chicken ownership' I can't tell you how many decapitated, ravaged birds we would find when we opened the pens in the morning. So we set out to create Fort Knox - its difficult for us to get into these pens - LOL. After all of our renovations didn't put the slightest dent in the losses we we're experiencing, we headed off to Tractor Supply for the biggest trap we could find. We trapped possums and raccoons multiple times a night. Two weeks of trapping and culling put an end to our losses completely. We have not had a single loss in over a year!.

Perhaps those of you who are happy with the whole predator thing could provide their addresses and we could drop off the odd predator with you guys, just to keep everyone happy - LOL - I'm just joking, please don't take offense :)

Back
Top Bottom