Do you have separate flocks, or let them all run together?

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
I'm getting hung up on technicalities. I currently have a flock of dual purpose breeds, but I'm thinking about switching over to egg layers and bantams. So I have easter eggers coming out of the brooder in a week or two, bantams and a couple polish incubating. Plus, (omg) next month I have a backdated order for more bantams and a golden laced Wyandotte rooster and two hens.

So, it'd be great if they could all run together, but I have no idea how to keep track of whose eggs I want to have hatch. I don't really mind if I get crosses with the dual purpose breeds, or laying breeds, I just don't really want them breeding together, if that makes sense...

Yes if you want certain birds to reproduce. The hens will need to be penned before you add the rooster if they were with other roosters. I can't recall how long hens stay fertile from a breeding. I believe it's somewhere around 2-4 weeks. Don't quote me on that. :)

As previously stated, you will need to keep separate the birds whose eggs you want to hatch as purebreds, with the females not exposed to any other males for about 3 weeks (lots of people say 2 weeks is enough, and for a lot of birds it is enough, but not all, if you need to be 100% sure you are hatching purebreds) before you start setting them.

Humm. You know what would be really helpful is a guide of some kind telling who around here is knowledgeable about what. Who to ask about certain things. I know we have breeders around here but their names do not pop into my head. I know @ChickenCanoe is really knowledgeable about a LOT of things, let's ask her! (I ask her and a few others about a lot of things, I hope she and they don't mind that I am so frequently ringing their door bells!) 😊

Humm. You know what would be really helpful is a guide of some kind telling who around here is knowledgeable about what. Who to ask about certain things. I know we have breeders around here but their names do not pop into my head. I know @ChickenCanoe is really knowledgeable about a LOT of things, let's ask her! (I ask her and a few others about a lot of things, I hope she and they don't mind that I am so frequently ringing their door bells!) 😊
It is him, :p. No problem though.

They can be fertile from a mating for up to 3 weeks. Subsequent matings can yield fertilized eggs from multiple different roosters. (one sire per egg).
So in answer to your question, you must keep birds separated into breeding pens if you want to make sure what the progeny will come from.
I do keep multiple flocks and I no longer keep many breeds but it doesn't mean even though each rooster tends to keep watch over HIS flock, another rooster won't take advantage of an inattentive rooster.

Yes if you want certain birds to reproduce. The hens will need to be penned before you add the rooster if they were with other roosters. I can't recall how long hens stay fertile from a breeding. I believe it's somewhere around 2-4 weeks. Don't quote me on that. :)

It seems that I am going in the opposite direction of my chicken plans. I just wanted a low maintenance, self sustaining flock, but here I am trying to plot out three separate coops...☹️

It is him, :p. No problem though.

They can be fertile from a mating for up to 3 weeks. Subsequent matings can yield fertilized eggs from multiple different roosters. (one sire per egg).
So in answer to your question, you must keep birds separated into breeding pens if you want to make sure what the progeny will come from.
I do keep multiple flocks and I no longer keep many breeds but it doesn't mean even though each rooster tends to keep watch over HIS flock, another rooster won't take advantage of an inattentive rooster.

So it's better (more simple) to just stick with a couple breeds...like, say, Easter eggers and wyandottes? Vs 5 different kinds of dual purpose, plus bantams, plus layer breeds?

It seems that I am going in the opposite direction of my chicken plans. I just wanted a low maintenance, self sustaining flock, but here I am trying to plot out three separate coops...☹
There is nothing at all wrong with 3 separate coops. It may be a bit more work but the flexibility is so worth it. Additional coops can provide broody/brood housing, quarantine space, bully jail and areas to raise other breeds.
IMO, anyone who raises chickens needs at least two housing options.

Back
Top Bottom