1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you have to seal after staining?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrsemma, Sep 6, 2014.

1. mrsemma

mrsemma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    So we stained the wood that frames the run. My question is do we need to seal it also or can we just leave it stained?
    The average rainfall here is only 6" a year, so rain is not my concern except for couple times a year, heat and sun are a major concern.

Thank you for advice!! I can't wait till we finish the building! (and yes the husband is doing most the hard work. credit is definitely due there!!)[​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Beautiful start! Mary

3. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Personally I would seal it
    The more protection and the less appealing to bugs the better!

4. mrsemma

mrsemma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Oh lovely, that's that answer I was afraid of. I bet that's what my dad would say too.

As much as I love wood working projects, I really don't like sanding and all the prep work. It's exhausting!!

Thank you for the compliments. I am in love with the color, the coop itself will be brown with a light green trim and maybe some white trim. I look forward to the morning when we are sipping coffee and enjoy gazing at the girls enjoying all our hard work!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by