Do you have to start with chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momofonly, Aug 31, 2010.

1. momofonly

momofonly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    If you're starting a small flock for eggs, do you have to start with chicks? Is there a way to get just 2 or 3 full grown hens and start a flock?

Thanks!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sure check your local Craigslist. Lots of good pullets for sale this time of year.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Sure! We started with some "hand-me-down" hens that were older, and it worked out just fine. Check Craigslist, your local paper, or chicken friends to see who has hens already laying.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yes, My first flock of three were given to me as full grown hens. For the next three I raised three day old chicks inside. My last three I bought as POL (Point of Lay) Pullets.

Imp

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Yes. I have 2 hens I bought as layers about a month before their 1st birthday.

6. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    You don't have to start with chicks, you can start with pullets (hens that are just ready to lay). Most hatcheries and many breeders offer pullets, but the selection of breeds is generally more limited than if starting with day-old chicks. There's a little background on what you can start with at my website here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/06/02/getting-started-with-chickens/ Hope this info helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by