Do you keep a wire lid on your brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dirtbath, Mar 2, 2012.

1. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am using a 51 gallon rubbermaid tub as my brooder. It's about 2 feet high. Should I put a lid on the top made out of wire? They will be in my spare bedroom, so no threat of predators. Also, they are silkies so they can't fly anyway. But I don't want one to think he's "superman" and hop over the edge.

2. hitgsd

hitgsd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I don't know if you have to use a wire lid, but probably want to. I did not use a wire screen on my brooder until the day I walked in the room and the fuffy butts had figured out how to escape. Now I use the screen from the beginning just to make it a habit. My brooder is a large black rubber horse watering tank.

3. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I've never raised silkies but I'm sure glad we had a wire screen over the top of our brooder last year. They hoped up on the water and tried to hop out of the top. I'm 99% sure I'm getting more chicks today, lol, still not 100%, but the brooder is set up with a screen again this year. I'm phobic about things and worry if something can go wrong it will [​IMG]. I figure if there is a top they can't get out and the heat lamp can't slip down too low. No way that lamps moving, but I would still worry without a barrier. I have a cat that would love to get in and mother them too.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

we have a tom cat that likes to sleep with the chicks.. so here a lid is a must.. he's never hurt any (too fat, lazy and loves everybody and everything.. he's a strange cat who has 0 instincts as a predator).. he loves to snuggle up with any critter.. caught him keeping turkey poults warm last year.. they actually preferred him to the brooder lamp

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I use a similar container for my brooder - although mine isn't as large as yours. I had some old screening for a screened door. I used a box cutter to cut around the lid to the container and put the screening underneath the lid. It works great! And I think it's important to keep a top on the brooder. I had one of my swedish flower hen chicks to jump over the brooder one time - ended up dying. So sad. I keep the top on it all the time now.

Here's a photo of my set-up.

[​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I used a rubbermaid water tank and later a 4x4x2 ft high brooder of plywood. I just made a frame for the top and stapled hardware cloth for 1 and chicken wire for another and made a lid that lifted on and off. I attached it to the tank with C-clamps, and with bungee cords on the plywood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by