Do you keep incubation & hatch records?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Toothpick, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick Songster

Aug 15, 2016
    TN
    I found an article online that recommended keeping incubation and hatch records. Things like how many eggs hatched, how many were fertile (or not), how many died at hatching, or died at the pip, etc, etc.

It also recommended keeping a record of the incubator. Recording the temp and humidity of the incubator as well as the room daily. If the turner is working, if the water was checked, if you candled, just good old fashioned notes.

I think this would be a good thing to do especially if you plan on doing multiple hatches. This way you have a record of what worked, what didn’t, hatch rates, and so on.

I’ll be starting my eggs tomorrow and I’m wondering if anyone keeps records.
    And if so.....how do you keep track? Excel file?
    What information do you keep?

Thanks in advance!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    YES!
    I keep records of everything mentioned above.

I am a fan of paper and pen but also of using Google Sheets online to keep track of everything.

I like to label each egg and keep track of them each separately through out the hatch.

casportpony, mixedUPturk and 007Sean like this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I use to along time ago...haven't in quite sometime now. I still keep records of where my eggs came from, seller name, address, how many were shipped, the condition when they arrived. I keep records of live birds if I bought any, which is another thing I haven't done in years. Due to biosecurity and disease prevention reasons I don't buy live birds anymore.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    I will be the one guy who says ... Nope. Probably a good idea to keep records but hatching isn't a priority to the point where I need to perfect it. The only records I keep is the date of the egg when collected/laid and the breed or cross. Thats written on the egg.

5. Toothpick

Toothpick Songster

Aug 15, 2016
    TN
    Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll make an excel file with the info I want. I’ll likely be selling all or some of the chicks at some point. Records would probably be a good idea to keep in that case.

6. NAA60512

NAA60512 Chirping

Mar 22, 2017
    Peculiar, Missouri
    I keep records because I love data. I began keeping track of egg position in the turner to see if position makes any difference. Just something to do.

Attached Files:

7. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    I never had but my husband asked me why I didn't. I keep records for my beekeeping, my gardening, and my trees, so duh why wouldn't I. I'm late to the game as I've been keeping chickens/ducks/etc. myself for 14 years, and hatching myself for the last 8 or so; before that I helped my dad do all of it. So I'm just starting now. :)

casportpony and Texas Kiki like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: