Do You Keep Your Rabbits INDOORS or OUTDOORS?

Do You Keep Your Rabbits INDOORS or OUTDOORS???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have two fixed male rabbits that live comfortably outside in a hutch that my father built. The hutch has tons of shade within it so I have never had much issue with heat stroke but I have had to bring them into the garage during the blizzards we get in the winter.

I would love to see a picture of your hutch!

I keep my two pet rabbits outdoors in a hutch, with supervised outside time in a pen. Although, this'll soon change, as I know I don't always give them the right amount of exercise (they do have quite a roomy hutch) so we're going to build a run soon. It won't be predator proof except from the skies, since during the day we don't have any predator problems (except hawks) and at night they'll go back in the hutch. We filled in the old pond we had in our backyard so once we finish filling that in and setting up I'm very excited to build them their run. :)

Honestly, keeping rabbits in a cage isn't cruel at all so long as you a) make the cage properly, b) make sure it's big enough for them to move around in, and c) make sure they get a proper amount of exercise.

I've heard a lot of 'keeping rabbits outside is bad!', especially since for a while a ran a little page on instagram for my rabbits and a lot of people on there had that opinion. It drove, and still drives, me crazy. Rabbits are very hardy animals and people don't give them enough credit. Provide for them properly, and they can thrive in many conditions. Heat, cold, storms (my one rabbit actually loves to sit out in the uncovered run portion of their hutch during rainstorms, no matter how much rain is pouring down or how bad the wind is lol!) they can adapt and survive it all. People say noises outside and predators can give them heart attacks... I mean, yeah, but they also get used to that stuff very quickly. My rabbits don't bat an eye at yard tools (mower, blower, etc) and I've never had an incident with predators.

Sorry for the long rant...Rabbits were my first pet and I'm very passionate about them and hopefully I can get more in the future. :)

Vote in the poll above.
Also, reply above to give further information such as if you think it is cruel to keep a rabbit outside, in a cage, etc.
I personally keep them outside, one actually lives with my chickens!! (See avatar.) He would actually get very lonely without them, he follows them around, copying what they do, he protects them to, and vice-versa. He's the nicest. Also, i think it would depend on the breed, and rabbit, mine are Lionheads, and very sturdy rabbits, i do have to be careful in summer though, so they don't get too hot.

I keep my one outside, in summer depending on the heat she may come inside in a crate to keep her from overheating but if her burrows flood she comes into a huge dog crate and sits in the garage. If it was up to me I would have my rabbit and guinea pig inside but it’s not and I have a Great Dane who would try to play with her and yeah that wouldn’t end well. My parents also don’t want her in the house so she has to live outside, she digs her own burrows but never escapes because we have wire skirting and that way foxes don’t dig in either. In summer if it’s hot she does down her burrows and stays down there, we also put ice cubes in her water and give her watermelon even though she doesn’t eat it. We also soak lettuce in water and give that to her so we know she is getting water

I keep my one outside, in summer depending on the heat she may come inside in a crate to keep her from overheating but if her burrows flood she comes into a huge dog crate and sits in the garage. If it was up to me I would have my rabbit and guinea pig inside but it’s not and I have a Great Dane who would try to play with her and yeah that wouldn’t end well. My parents also don’t want her in the house so she has to live outside, she digs her own burrows but never escapes because we have wire skirting and that way foxes don’t dig in either. In summer if it’s hot she does down her burrows and stays down there, we also put ice cubes in her water and give her watermelon even though she doesn’t eat it. We also soak lettuce in water and give that to her so we know she is getting water
If you want to convince your parents to keep her inside I would watch and show them Lennon The Bunny's videos on YouTube. She has some very informative videos that may show them how you can keep her inside. You could put up some baby gates or keep her in a spare bedroom, or in your own room.
What a lot of people with dogs do is keep them in a pen that other pets can't get into, and keep them dog in a separate part of the house (or on a walk) when free-roaming. Just be sure she has a least four hours of exercise outside of a pen a day.
Free roaming indoors is very inexpensive (more so than having in a hutch. Hutches and cages can be expensive and take time to build. All you need for free roaming is a playpen, usually about $20-30, and some bunny proofing supplies, which is about $40. And, your rabbits health and quality of life will be much better.
All you would have to do is bunny proof the house (at least the area she would be), and keep her away for your doggo. An easy set up to keep her in when not free roaming would be something like this:
1594872456132.png

It's super cute, and would keep your dog out.
It would take some more time and money to build, but certainly no more than a hutch or cage.

An easier set up could look something like this:
1594872714873.png

You may want to start with something like this since it would be more inexpensive and your parents would probably be less opposed to this for that reason. If you wanted, after your parents see how great having a more free ranged - indoor rabbit is you could make something like the above picture.

Just an idea to consider

If you want to convince your parents to keep her inside I would watch and show them Lennon The Bunny's videos on YouTube. She has some very informative videos that may show them how you can keep her inside. You could put up some baby gates or keep her in a spare bedroom, or in your own room.
What a lot of people with dogs do is keep them in a pen that other pets can't get into, and keep them dog in a separate part of the house (or on a walk) when free-roaming. Just be sure she has a least four hours of exercise outside of a pen a day.
Free roaming indoors is very inexpensive (more so than having in a hutch. Hutches and cages can be expensive and take time to build. All you need for free roaming is a playpen, usually about $20-30, and some bunny proofing supplies, which is about $40. And, your rabbits health and quality of life will be much better.
All you would have to do is bunny proof the house (at least the area she would be), and keep her away for your doggo. An easy set up to keep her in when not free roaming would be something like this:
View attachment 2245710
It's super cute, and would keep your dog out.
It would take some more time and money to build, but certainly no more than a hutch or cage.

An easier set up could look something like this:
View attachment 2245716
You may want to start with something like this since it would be more inexpensive and your parents would probably be less opposed to this for that reason. If you wanted, after your parents see how great having a more free ranged - indoor rabbit is you could make something like the above picture.

Just an idea to consider
Thanks but I couldn’t move her now, she loves being outside and hates it when I try to bring her inside. But thanks for the great ideas I will keep them in mind for friends who want to get rabbits

Back
Top Bottom