Do you leave the pop door open during daytime?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbounds10, Apr 29, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So the girls moved out to the coop last night. The run still needs a top so they will be staying inside for a few days until we get it done this weekend. My question is, can I leave the pop door open all day? I have an auto door and I dont really want to have another food/water setup in the run so if I leave the door open, they can go in/out.

Thoughts??

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Yep. I leave it open and they come and go when they want. In the summer I do set an extra waterer out in the run just so it's always close by.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I had the exact same question. Thanks!

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Always open when they are out.

Ditto on fresh water in a bucket outside as well. Especially important in the hot summer as the peabrains don't think about it unless they can see it. They just get thirsty, extra thirsty.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Mine opens at first light & closes at dark. I did close it off a few times last winter. It was real cold & the wind was howling .

6. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop door opens at 8:00am on the weekdays and 9:00am on the weekends (close neighbors). I usually go and close it around 9pm, depending on the weather and time of year. I also put an extra water in the run, just in case. Sometimes that pop door gets closed by the kiddos. [​IMG]

7. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    The nest boxes are inside so mine is open all day (my girls are afternoon layers). I also keep the food and water outside under the coop in the run. (In the winter it is inside)

Here is where I keep the food. It stays dry in the rain, it got a tiny bit wet when we had horrible storms with sideways rain.

[​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh yes, virtually everyone leaves the popdoor open during the day. They need to be able to go back inside if they want (food, water, nestboxes, shade, shelter vs threatening hawks, etc)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by