Do you lock them up in rain?

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
Do you keep your chickens locked up in the coop when it rains? I mean, rains for a long time as in days.

Reason I ask is that my 6 week olds have a nice dry coop with food and water but they are wading out in the cold mud instead. I'm a little worried about them being all wet and cold. It's been in the 100's for months and now suddenly it's raining and 55.

They think they have found heaven.
I let mine do what the want. Sometime they go to dry areas, sometimes they'll hang out under bushes and sometimes they run out to get into the rain. I think they like an occasional bath.

If it rains for days I make sure they dry over night and have a little time to warm up before I let them out for the next day of cold and rainy weather.

With chicks as young as yours: YES, I would keep them up; older ones: NO.

Chicks in cool wet weather will drown. Yes, that is what we call it: drown. If they get soaked thru to the skin then they get chilled and never warm up. They can also get wet cold mud in their feathers which can also prove detrimental.

I'd wait till the rainning stops to let them out.

I open my coops 365 days a year ~ in rain, snow whatever Mother Nature brings. I leave it up to the chickens to decide if they want to be inside or outside. They usually love being out in the rain as it brings lots of tasty worms to the surface. They often get soaked, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

For 6 week old babies I would keep them inside though.

Last edited:
I leave their coop door open from morning to night regardless of the weather and temp. I think its best to let them do what they want, if its too cold they should know to stay inside but my hens seem to like the rain and it does them no harm, best to let them chose for themselves i think.

Quote:
Same here, except I have a couple younger ones (10 weeks old) that have been weaker and smaller than their buddies the same age. Those two I keep under lights at night to make sure they get good and dry and warm. Seems to be working so far.

You'v received some conflicting advice on the subject.

Here's what I'd keep in mind:

1. Do what works for you.
2. Remember chickens are domesticated creatures not wild ones. Though some breeds retain more wild traits than others they are all domesticated.

There are few cases where chickens have been able to survive on their own in the wild.

3. You talked about the temps. The real issue is not the rain it is the drop in temps.
4. Your birds are only 6 weeks old. We are not talking about old birds here.

The advice to make sure they were dried off at night sounds sound too me.

Thanks all. I'm thinking I'm going to lock then up. They are still so young and the silkies don't seem like they'd be able to stay warm when wet. Right now it's just wet feet, but I'd rather them dry and warm locked up for a few days than sick. The older girls can come and go as they please.

Back
Top Bottom